Author Topic: Dwilight IC and OOC updates and news!  (Read 254201 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight IC and OOC updates and news!
« Reply #675: June 08, 2011, 05:07:57 PM »
I guess it just sounds to me like you're almost saying "our characters should retcon the world around them to be more like Medieval Europe."
That would be completely silly.

If something influences our characters strongly that isn't something that could happen in Medieval Europe, that will produce results that cannot have analogues in Medieval Europe.  There's no getting around that.
Yes, you are correct. I specifically stated in the other thread that there is no need to have direct RL analogues for things that you do in-game.

Yet the players must still intentionally limit their characters' actions and attitudes to try and maintain that environment. (The following are just examples off the top of my head, and not meant to point accusations at anyone or anything...)

For example:
  • When your character prays to their gods for aid in battle against the godless foreign invaders, and he loses the battle anyway, for the 27th time in a row, he shouldn't turn atheist and deny that gods exist. Even though maybe that would fall within his RP'd personality type.
  • If your character notices how placing bounties on monsters and undead attracts those ever-so-useful adventurers who are so friendly and helpful and keep the infestations down, he still should not propose to give rights to commoners, or seek to declare that they are equal to nobles, because, hey, we're all just human beings, right?

I'm sure there are more scenarios that could be found, but these are the ones I thought of off-hand.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.