Author Topic: Asylon Realm Thread  (Read 120308 times)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Asylon Realm Thread
« Reply #105: October 25, 2011, 12:32:23 AM »
At this point isnt' the discussion about whether or not they wanted to KRB moot?  They're dead and we won...   
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: October 25, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »
At this point isnt' the discussion about whether or not they wanted to KRB moot?  They're dead and we won...   

Ah, y'know, if Madina wins its war with Aurvandil, one of them get to say "Its not over yet!". Course, fifty fifty odds for that outcome, so just as likely they'll quietly fade or settle into Madina as Lords and only clench their fists and growl any time someone mentions the nort....

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: October 27, 2011, 07:11:13 AM »
Ah, y'know, if Madina wins its war with Aurvandil, one of them get to say "Its not over yet!". Course, fifty fifty odds for that outcome, so just as likely they'll quietly fade or settle into Madina as Lords and only clench their fists and growl any time someone mentions the nort....

Still, Madina is the last realm they ought to worry about.
I find it quite hilarious to see some people acually worry about that realm on the other side of the map.
Madina can only become dangerous to the far north if the north is at war with other realms, distracted, so Madina can do a little lootin.
But over that distance there is little else Madina could do.

We DID take Eibuld before and put a colony there.
So yes it is possible to take your men all the way up there and actually do something.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: November 21, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
Poor Asylon. Uppervia revolts, Lowervia revolts, Kybcyell revolts, Mech Alb in bad shape, the realm split into four parts... Ouch. How are Itau and Itaufield looking? They must have been in pretty sad shape when you finally took them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: November 21, 2011, 08:34:59 PM »
I honestly don't understand how Asylon is so weak. They have tons of food, plenty of cities for gold, and lots of nobles, and their geography isn't really that bad. If they'd take Gonophor, southern monster spawns would be greatly diminished, almost negligible.

They must just be running huge tax rates or have no courtiers or something... which is weird, because they have tons of nobles.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: November 21, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
I honestly don't understand how Asylon is so weak. They have tons of food, plenty of cities for gold, and lots of nobles, and their geography isn't really that bad. If they'd take Gonophor, southern monster spawns would be greatly diminished, almost negligible.

They must just be running huge tax rates or have no courtiers or something... which is weird, because they have tons of nobles.

Yes but they were considerably smaller not that long ago, with less of everything.

Such rapid expansion is extremely difficult to sustain on Dwilight. I suspect that Asylon simply hasn't been taking the time it needs to take to bring its new acquisitions fully under control. The same thing has happened to Astrum in the past when we expanded to quickly and then found our armies overextended on the northern frontier while core regions were being attacked from the Mountains of Remorse and Woe. I bet Asylon's been focusing a lot on Itau at the expense of effectively defending their middle regions from monsters. They'll probably contract by necessity while they refit their armies and then expand more systematically, with more care to bring new regions fully under control while keeping their core regions clear of monsters.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: November 21, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
With Astrum pushing into Caerwyn's old lands, the monster spawn in that region should drop. Luckily it never got up to the spawn rate that the mountains have, or that the Darfix area has. We're able to keep the south pretty well clear with a modest-sized army.

As for their army, I don't know what's up with that. I expected Asylon to grow quite a bit with the extra lands and nobles from Caerwyn. But their military seems pegged at 6K CS. What's up with that?

I mean, with only half that income, Aurvandil fields almost 28k CS!  ::)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: November 22, 2011, 04:15:16 AM »
With Astrum pushing into Caerwyn's old lands, the monster spawn in that region should drop. Luckily it never got up to the spawn rate that the mountains have, or that the Darfix area has. We're able to keep the south pretty well clear with a modest-sized army.

As for their army, I don't know what's up with that. I expected Asylon to grow quite a bit with the extra lands and nobles from Caerwyn. But their military seems pegged at 6K CS. What's up with that?

I mean, with only half that income, Aurvandil fields almost 28k CS!  ::)

Indeed. Terran would quite like to see an Asylon whose army is more... robust. We seem to have a bad habit of acquiring allies with inadequate armies.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: November 22, 2011, 05:04:51 AM »
Indeed. Terran would quite like to see an Asylon whose army is more... robust. We seem to have a bad habit of acquiring allies with inadequate armies.

Have Barca feed us, and we'll work on fixing that! ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: November 22, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
Have Barca feed us, and we'll work on fixing that! ;)

Let some more of your peasants die, and they'll be able to!

The size of D'Haran cities must in the long run be a function of the food available for export within the Moot, as all the other sources seem highly subject to political caprice and stiff competition from the Lurias. You cannot, ultimately, grow your cities faster than Barca grows its food supplies.

But honestly, I'm skeptical of D'Hara's ability to field a big army even if you get unlimited cheap food. I'm just not sure ya'll have it in you.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: November 22, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »
Too used to use the gold for other things. D'Hara is not a militaristic Realm. It's just not in her. Hopefully someone at least starts hammering about getting some more recruitment centers and infrastructure. That would be a first step in the right direction.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: November 22, 2011, 09:15:10 PM »
Too used to use the gold for other things. D'Hara is not a militaristic Realm. It's just not in her. Hopefully someone at least starts hammering about getting some more recruitment centers and infrastructure. That would be a first step in the right direction.

It'd have certainly helped if Paisly's hadn't all been lost because of a mere 50 gold debt.

D'Hara's not a militaristic realm, for sure, but I could see it turned to aggressive mercantilism if it ever gets the luxury of being able to rely solely on close allies for food and therefore not having to worry about alienating foreign markets so much.

After all, one day or another we'll have to grow some balls, 'cause whether we wish it or not, our isles will forever attract the envy of some.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: November 22, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »
After all, one day or another we'll have to grow some balls, 'cause whether we wish it or not, our isles will forever attract the envy of some.

Nah, you could linger on as a crippled pushover practically indefinitely. In fact, that could be a strategy. Make the isles look so heinous to hold and manage that nobody could possibly want them. Like the defense some bugs have where they play dead.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: November 22, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »
Actually we kill off part of ourselves as defence :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: November 22, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »
Nah, you could linger on as a crippled pushover practically indefinitely. In fact, that could be a strategy. Make the isles look so heinous to hold and manage that nobody could possibly want them. Like the defense some bugs have where they play dead.

Whether we field a significant army permanently or not, we will certainly be working on amassing a solid emergency war chest so that if the need arises, we can use it to make sure nothing manages to breach our ports.