Author Topic: Fame: points in the beginning of a family?  (Read 17504 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Fame: points in the beginning of a family?
« Reply #15: August 09, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »
My question is this: how should a *good* BM player approach this subject? Should he go along with that which I find to be an interesting roleplay, or should he discard the roleplay simply because the game doesn't show any records of any Mythos ever existing on my new account? I have connected the two accounts via Wiki, but it is impossible to do in the in game family records.
I could see the players taking this one of two ways, depending on their character's point of view or agenda.
  • Friends and allies of the character could believe and support the story. "Of course this is the son of Mythos. Anyone who is not blind can see the family resemblance. Indeed I saw this lad many times accompanying Mythos on some errand or other. Not only that, but look, he bears the Arrakis family signet, which I myself saw many times upon the hand of Mythos. Any who doubt the veracity of this claim cast doubt upon mine own integrity and judgment."
  • Political enemies and opponents could use the break in the family history as a potential reason to cast doubt upon the lineage of the family. Perhaps these characters really aren't the return of the Arrakis family? "These foul pretenders seek to take advantage of the good name and reputation of the most prestigious Arrakis family line! Do not fall prey to their wicked deceit and lies! My good friend colleague Mythos would roll over in his grave if he knew of the trickery these pretenders plot to bring about our downfall." Etc...

Remember when Dustin got pissed off and deleted the Kabrinski family? He recreated another account without telling anyone it was him, then outed himself, and tried to claim that the character was really Allison's son. Then he deleted that second account, and recreated the Kabrinski family, and created a new Allison character claiming it was the same person. Needless to say, recreating such a controversial character met with a lot of, well, controversy. :P  There are still people to this day that claim that the Allison on Dwilight is an impostor or a demon.

The key thing here is to remember that just because you want to tell a certain story doesn't mean everyone else is forced to play along. They can make up any story they want, just like you did. The break in the family line provides an opportunity to doubt the lineage of the family that is just as valid as a claim that they really are the same family. Yes, the RP opportunity to tie the two families together is pretty cool. But so is the RP chance to deny and cast aspersions on said claim. So, roll with it and see where it goes.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.