Author Topic: Civilization expanding?  (Read 60341 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Civilization expanding?
« Topic Start: November 23, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »
It occurred to me today that civilization on Dwilight is expanding quickly. (Except around the Via duchy. ;) ) There are now 170 owned regions, out of 248 total. That's 69% occupied. Not counting whatever territory the Zuma claims and occupies, as we have no way of seeing that directly without scout reports of the area. I wonder what some of these realms will do when they start running out of rogue forces to fight.

But then again, some of them having been sitting doing nothing for so long, maybe it's become an ingrained habit. :P
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization expanding?
« Reply #1: November 23, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »
Especially with the new estate system in place, I think that it won't be long before there are only two substantially sized areas of wilderness left on Dwilight - the area around Darfix and the area between the Lurias and Morek/Corsanctum. Barca and Aurvandil look to be set to snap up everything south of the Zuma; Asylon and Astrum should split up the area Caerwyn once occupied, with Terran wrapping around to take the rest of the territory north of the Zuma; Iashalur should put a pretty good dent into the western wilderness; the northeast is already almost entirely settled; and the Lurias look to be slowly occupying the area around Shinnen. That basically just leaves the big wilderness area encompassing Unterstrom, Flowrestown, Sallowtown and Balance's Retreat, plus whatever wilderness persists around Darfix.

Very interesting...

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 23, 2011, 06:08:14 PM »
* Ramiel laughs and wonders what will happen the two SA people see what the map looks like in January :D

Agreed though, to be honest, I sense realm wars on the horizon!
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 23, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
* Ramiel laughs and wonders what will happen the two SA people see what the map looks like in January :D

I look forward to it  :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 23, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »
Let's hope for something interesting. Though I doubt anything *that* significant can happen before then.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 23, 2011, 08:56:06 PM »
For the Zuma, a good rule of thumb is that they claim all the badlands. Consider the rurals and forests open game. They claim about 8 regions as far as I know.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 23, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
For the Zuma, a good rule of thumb is that they claim all the badlands. Consider the rurals and forests open game. They claim about 8 regions as far as I know.

Can no one go to the badlands a claim some of the land from the zuma? I mean kind of seems a little unfair the can just control those regions and no one can really do anything about it. I mean most of the land is useless and no one wants but still. Why does the zuma really need 8 regions at all?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 09:20:58 PM by Creed »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 23, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »

Can no one go to the badlands a claim some of the land from the zuma? I mean kind of seems a little unfair the can just control those regions and no one can really do anything about it. I mean most of the land is useless and no one wants but still. Why does the zuma really need 8 regions at all?

Nobody's stopping you from trying, one way or another.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 23, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »

I believe they may also claim Hawoqy.

They have big armies. Why does anybody control any regions? Because they have big enough armies.

Exactly what purpose the Zuma serve... has been a mystery for some time.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 23, 2011, 09:24:19 PM »

I think I told them they should take it once, but they weren't interested.

To give D'Hara a reason to continue trading once Barca grows enough to feed us, of course!

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 23, 2011, 09:25:28 PM »

They have big armies. Why does anybody control any regions? Because they have big enough armies.

Yeah I understand that but the thing is you are speaking of the Zuma like they are humans but they are not. Land to them can be totally meaningless.  I think there is a lot of awesome RP that could be done but I think a lot of people are to afraid to endanger their character and realm to the Zumas wraith if all goes bad.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 23, 2011, 09:28:29 PM »

It's a funny thing; as rogue lands run out in the Maroccidens, realm v. realm conflict has been heating up. But I don't, currently, see it spilling over into any wars. All of the Moot realms have internal excitement (Terran is probably the calmest right now), and various foreign issues that could imagineably lead to war but, as discussed elsewhere, they probably won't. The costs of war with Astrum's colony, with the Lurias, or in the southern war are just so damn high compared to the benefits. War with Astrum would be pointless, as Terran has never had any interest in any lands except Demyansk, and it just isn't that valuable of a prize. War with Asylon is laughable– we are trying frantically to prop them up and help them, not fight them. War with the Lurias would be like the Madina/Aurvandil war, except even more boring, with an even longer maritime assault route. And the Lurias have nothing we want. Involvement in the south is a possibility, but the only real motive would be if one of them posed a genuine threat to Barca or D'Hara's safety. Neither do. Food and trade concerns are huge, but don't seem likely right now to find resolution in war: rather, they will slowly be resolved by rising Barcan productivity.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 23, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
I think a lot of people are to afraid to endanger their character and realm to the Zumas wraith if all goes bad.

This is true.

Once Barca and Asylon are stable, a war against the Zuma by Asylon, Terran, Barca, and D'hara would be tons of fun. But, frankly, given that we have no knowledge of how the Zuma recruit, what their long-term military capacities may be, etc.... no way. If their power were vast, but known, some strategy might be found to fight them. But as they are so unknown, it can't be risked. Even investigating their military power seems unwise, as they might interpret such snooping negatively.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 23, 2011, 09:33:29 PM »
I'd be interested in finding out.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 23, 2011, 09:35:45 PM »
I want to bet that the Zuma currently already have more military forces then those Realms combined right now and that's without them needing to recruit :P Frankly, War against the Zuma is suicide for the Marrocidens, and probably will be swift without much of a resistance. At least we'll have lands to colonize afterwards ;)