Author Topic: Help me choose continent(s) to join [veteran thinking about returning to BM]  (Read 19227 times)

ry2n

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Hey all,

I'm a veteran from long ago (active 2003-2007) looking to get back, but I know next to nothing about current politics. From what I gather
Atamara is still in pretty much the same deadlock as it was, EI changed quite a bit - but I have no idea about other continents.

What I'm looking for is somewhere lively, with active politics, wars, frontlines moving constantly, RP et cetera.

I held pretty much all positions there were in the time I played (save for Banker), and was one of two original creators
of Da Goat, glorious (albeit pretty stupid) God of Redspan (Atamara).

What are continents which are most fluid in terms of realm politics, territory, RP ? Which realms are the whackiest ? Help me choose !

Zakilevo

Belunaterra's borders change all the time thanks to daimons. If you want to fight big monsters with over 40k CS (and do not think it is the same 40k CS human soldiers), come join Thalmarkin on BT.

Politics of Dwilight is pretty interesting as all realms struggle against the only true faith ;).

As for EI, Some realms are dead and dying. Only three original realms are still standing. Well Fontan is there but is about to die.

FEI has a realm called Sorraine which apparently have a lot of RPers.

I can't say much for AT as I have no character there.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Dwilight is the best! It is the biggest island, with the most realms, a quickly evolving political scene with three groups of realms vying to dominate the island, and lots of opportunity for advancement in nearly all realms. In addition, it is a one-character-per-account island. None of this nonsense of propping up your realm by having three or four families with two characters each in the realm, or the same set of people controlling two realms through having characters in each realm, or the inevitable information sharing that happens with multiple characters per island.

AT has lots of fighting. The sides have shifted a bit since 2007, though. Sometimes only the names of the realms have changed, but some realms have shifted sides altogether. Not the most dynamic political climate, but lots of fighting.

FEI is a bit boring right now. Not a lot of war. The Church of Sartan is on the rise again, and that may lead to some new wars. But for now, not much fighting.

EI is in a bit of a rebuilding period. The north (where Old Rancagua used to be) has been burned to ashes and Nivemus is still trying to rebuild the land. In the far south (Where Itorunt and Ibladesh used to be, both now dead) has been torched by Caligus and Perdan. The area is also trying to rebuild, but it is slow going. Westmoor (a realm where Oligarch used to be) just had Sirion declare war on it. We'll see if Perdan or Caligus rush in to help. Fontan just died, no idea what's going to happen there yet. There could be some big changes coming in the political scene due to all the new realms being formed, and the power vacuums being left by all the dead realms. Could be slow going, though, as the new realms try and get on their feet without disturbing the established giants of Perdan, Caligus, and Sirion.

BT... the fifth invasion may be winding down. Or maybe not. But the daimon armies are still kicking ass, and more realms may yet die before it's over. The political landscape is mostly dead until after the daimon Overlord is vanquished.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

ry2n

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Thanks for the recommendation - Dwilight looks really promising, but it's a testing ground - do things break often ?

Also, what do you mean by the only true faith ? RP'ed religion ? Is it sanctioned by realms or is it something that doesn't
really belong to realm politics (as in, people from enemy realms still have thwe same religion) ?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Yes, it is a testing island. But this is a good time to join, and the codebase between testing and stable islands was recently synced, so all islands are, for the moment, mostly the same. And if something does break... meh... roll with it. :)

As for religion... Zakilevo is referring to Sanguis Astroism. It is by far the largest religion ever in BattleMaster. We have over one million common followers, and something like 140 nobles, as well as over 100 temples. There are currently five theocracies with SA as their official religion, a few more realms where it is the major or only religion, and the rulers of two more realms who follow it as well.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

ry2n

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Tempting, very tempting... looks like a perfect time to create opposing religion ! :) Fight those heathens ! ;)

That's one char - I intend to create one more. What's the second best choice ?

Gustav Kuriga

Tempting, very tempting... looks like a perfect time to create opposing religion ! :) Fight those heathens ! ;)

That's one char - I intend to create one more. What's the second best choice ?

Despite the lack of fighting, I would say that Sorraine is, because of the amount of rp. I would say it is reminiscent of the time when you left, back when there were more players per realm.

Zakilevo

I got kicked out from Sorraine as soon as I joined so I can't say much for the realm but I can say that Thalmarkin on BT is pretty awesome. Every time we fight Overlord, we get 5 or so RPs :) I post RPs regularly but that is just me trying to post as many RPs as possible.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
I'd say you'd want to make at least one character on Dwilight, and if you only make one, then make it on Dwilight. It has so many options of places to go and different cultures that if you get really unlucky and start in a realm you don't like, there are plenty of other options. It is my favorite continent by far, and many would agree with that. (I think there was a poll somewhere, once.)

The other continents, it really depends upon what you're looking to get out of the game. Indirik's descriptions are pretty good. I'm only really playing on Atamara other than Dwilight, so can't speak for the others, but the current fighting is not in fact the same as it was when you last played. Some of the positions are similar, but the realms are different, and their leaders are different. That means the dynamic is in general somewhat changed, even though CE still has a lot of its weight thrown around. BUT, there is a lot of fighting. Nearly every realm on the continent is fighting or was recently in the war.

"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Dwilight (Solaria), BT (Thalmarkin), and FEI (Sorraine).

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile

What is this? Cmon, no need for the realm pushing.

Coria on Atamara is where its at though. ;) We have one of the highest gold/noble ratios on the continent and sit right smack dab in the middle of everything.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

ROFL! Solari wants another noble ;)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I am simply giving my honest opinion on the GREATEST REALMS THE HISTORY OF BATTLEMASTER. Or, is being helpful against the forum rules?

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Or you could join Ohnar (FEI). It's the underdog in the region (surrounded by haters), which adds to the challenge. A new religion is just taking off, and there is internal conflict, and a promise of future wars that should be epic and lead to FEI shattering events  8)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Dwilight is the best continent, hands down.

However, they all have some good things going on currently it seems.

But for sure have a character on Dwilight.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)