Author Topic: Werewolf Forum Game, General Discussion  (Read 52599 times)

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Werewolf Forum Game, General Discussion
« Reply #30: August 27, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »
Evidence found by a special roles should be say in public or not.

Eh.  I disagree.
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Ross

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 27, 2012, 10:21:03 PM »
That's my vision of the sage.

I know something at the moment I'll say it I expose myself to the werewolves.

And normally a sage is not a villager and sage same goes with hunters, little girl, guardian angel. When they are scanNed they are identified by the roles. But of course they have the same victory conditions. In that situation its important the information goes one way.
Atamara:    Dwilight:

Ross

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: August 27, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
But.

It's forum game we can't control PM better learn to live with it.

Its just my opinion.

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: August 27, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »
Yes and no.  Velax has already said that he intends to run a game with no PMs.   You're right, we can't mechanically forbid them, but we can certainly enter into a gentleman's agreement.  Folks that hop into that game hopefully can restrain themselves and not use PMs.
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Ross

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: August 27, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »
The advantage of werewolves is that they quickly know who they are and who they have to kills. Good use of roles / PM villagers can have the same Intel and communication in secret after few rounds.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: August 27, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »
There's no intrinsically "better" way to deal with PMs, you just need to tailor the setup for whatever you're doing.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: August 27, 2012, 10:44:02 PM »
IMO, the smaller the game, and the more limited the special roles, the worse PMs can negatively influence the game. Larger games, and those with more, varied special roles, may be able to hold up better.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: August 28, 2012, 03:54:08 AM »

Speaking of the Masahakon game: That's almost certainly what happpened. Lefanis never had to say one word in public, thus preventing the assassins from ever twigging to the fact that he could be the Sage. He appears to be just another bandwaggoner, or random voter. And every turn either the trusted network grows by another member, or another assassin is pegged.

Things like this completely negate the need for people to use politics, indirect influence, etc, to actually play the game. And yes, the things said in PMs are not the things you would say in public. That's really the whole point. Doing it in private removes much of what I, in my newbness to this game, consider to be the true point of the game.

I disagree. As a sage, It would have been suicide for me to scream to everyone my findings. Of course I wanted to disguise myself seeming to be just a bandwagoner! Why would I paint a big red target on myself?! Read the FAQ for the sage. What exactly does "communicate wisely", "if you say Hey I'm a sage, you might die!" mean? Without PMs, you are cutting off his hands and feet before even starting the game.

Of course politics and influence had to be used, both in public and in private. Again, why would we reveal our cards when we know there are three assassins in our midst? The only way for diplomats to win is with their sage convincing the others he is right, unless they get downright lucky. IMO, by removing PMs for the diplomats you are hurting the game. Why give the assassins a monopoly on scheming? Why treat all the diplomats as screaming madmen unable to form a coherent strategy?

The advantage of werewolves is that they quickly know who they are and who they have to kills. Good use of roles / PM villagers can have the same Intel and communication in secret after few rounds.

It's less interesting since much less is said in public and it also impacts the game's strategies in ways that are more about using logic to find the scum rather than finding tells and using psychology.

I think using logic and analysis makes it all that much more interesting. Psychology by itself won't help you at all unless you can convince the other side you are right, and that's done by logic.

I can assure Indirik, that the main difference was not because I told people I was sage and formed impregnable alliances, but because the diplomats could assess and point out inconsistencies in the plans suggested by both the diplomats and assassins, that would have ended up giving the game to the assassins. Even if inpregnable alliances could be formed, in the short span of time available, it is still not enough time for the diplomats to find all of each other without reasonable doubt. I'll elaborate further on it once this game ends.

Edit- Even with all the PMing, and logic, and whatever else, the assassins are still just one kill away from parity. That should tell you how essential these things are for the diplomats. Without it, it'd have been an assassin victory.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:59:48 AM by Lefanis »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: August 28, 2012, 04:45:42 AM »
I disagree. As a sage, It would have been suicide for me to scream to everyone my findings. Of course I wanted to disguise myself seeming to be just a bandwagoner! Why would I paint a big red target on myself?! Read the FAQ for the sage. What exactly does "communicate wisely", "if you say Hey I'm a sage, you might die!" mean? Without PMs, you are cutting off his hands and feet before even starting the game.

Absolutely not. You can just press hard on your guilties or defend your innocents or just come out and rely on the doctor or just die in order to get a kill.

Of course politics and influence had to be used, both in public and in private. Again, why would we reveal our cards when we know there are three assassins in our midst? The only way for diplomats to win is with their sage convincing the others he is right, unless they get downright lucky.
No. I've played a lot of mafia setups with no cop at all. What you neglect to understand is that there's more subtlety in this game than meets the eye.
I think using logic and analysis makes it all that much more interesting. Psychology by itself won't help you at all unless you can convince the other side you are right, and that's done by logic.
"The sage seemed to be defending this guy vehemently and pressing on this guy very hard before he ended up dying" vs "the sage found this guy as guilty, let's kill him"

Two different kinds of logical analysis.
Edit- Even with all the PMing, and logic, and whatever else, the assassins are still just one kill away from parity. That should tell you how essential these things are for the diplomats. Without it, it'd have been an assassin victory.

This was a setup geared towards PMs. There's nothing wrong with that. Allowing PMs isn't good or bad in and of itself so long as you structure the setup properly around it.

Keep in mind that PMs mean that you remove a lot of scumhunting and turn it largely into "protect the sage, form a group of protected allies". Without PMs, you have counterclaims and all manner of intrigue and such relating to that.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: August 28, 2012, 04:56:21 AM »
Of course you wouldn't scream "I'm the sage" in public. Don't pretend that's what anyone is saying. No PMs means you have to be smart about what you say, and how to interpret what other people are saying.

I would be interested in seeing the complete PM exchane for the Sage for the Masahakon game. I bet the majority of it is not trying to convince people who you are, and that you're genuinely the sage. I bet most of it is working together to figure out who the enemy is. IMO, that's only playing half the game.

Ross

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: August 28, 2012, 07:48:40 AM »
This was a setup geared towards PMs. There's nothing wrong with that. Allowing PMs isn't good or bad in and of itself so long as you structure the setup properly around it.

Keep in mind that PMs mean that you remove a lot of scumhunting and turn it largely into "protect the sage, form a group of protected allies". Without PMs, you have counterclaims and all manner of intrigue and such relating to that.

That's the point, it was expected, it was accepted and everyone agreed. It's not a matter of whats bad, whats good. My opinion is based on a different experience, i played IRL a lot. But now we play an adaptation of this game on the forum, one thing sure:

It is different in the approach, and i feel (imo) it disadvantages very slightly the werewolves. But on the other hand i guess they could coordinate and fake confusion and fight in their ranks to create more chaos.

Spoiler Assassins game (it is my assumption, i'm fairly confident. Unless i'm the village's idiot):

For our game it was really close, but we lost 4 diplomats in a row in the 2 first turn, we didn't played really good, not bad either, werewolves on the other hand i feel they have played well.  Lefanis has been lucky i wasn't an assassin (or really did a good move at guessing). Normally on turn 3, when we killed Zaki, it should have been more confusing and people being more uncertain like in my case. The way it turned out 4 persons was clearly sure who they had to vote for, we had a small debate and pretty much convinced ourselves with solid fact. Normally without PM the situation could have been 50/50 on that moment, we all do judgment errors, but when it is discussed and debated between 4 persons, it reduces greatly the chance to do a judgment mistake.

Like Slapsticks said: it's less reading between the line, grasping subtlety and more logic, convincing and creativity. It's just preferences at the end.

I simply prefer to be on my own trying to make senses, analyses and influences others publicly with only my perception and my feeling. Not a big deal, as long we can all agree on something.

And last game, it was harder than normal for the sage there was no other people like sorceress/guardian angel that can buy you an extra night. If PM are allowed, just putting a couple of lovers/best friends, and all of sudden it's very different, it's not only gathering your allies against your enemies, especially if the lovers are each in a different side.

To conclude, like someone said (sorry i don't recall) the more we are, the more role we have, the less PMs have an impact. We just need to keep most of the stuff public because it will get very boring for some, if everything is done behind closed doors and not everyone are able or want to join a side. I'm pretty sure we will adapt and find a common ground, and if werewolves appears to be disadvantaged we could find a way to balance things.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: August 28, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »
There may not have been a Guardian Angel, but the assassins still have to play like there is one, because they don't know that there isn't one. That's why Barek never got knifed. Being the "lead", it was always possible that he could be protected, costing the assassins a kill.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: August 29, 2012, 03:12:25 AM »
There may not have been a Guardian Angel, but the assassins still have to play like there is one, because they don't know that there isn't one. That's why Barek never got knifed. Being the "lead", it was always possible that he could be protected, costing the assassins a kill.
Assassins try to play safe it seems. Perhaps next time Assassins should try play like they are Sage or Witness themselves, it could work very well if you play all the cards close to your chest. Dont divulge too much unless you plan end up dead early on 8)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: August 29, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »
Assassins try to play safe it seems. Perhaps next time Assassins should try play like they are Sage or Witness themselves, it could work very well if you play all the cards close to your chest. Dont divulge too much unless you plan end up dead early on 8)

Doesn't work too well unless PMs are disabled.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: August 29, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
Lynching the Sage on the first round. Best Start Ever? :D