Author Topic: Realm Merger of Solaria and Luria Nova  (Read 33440 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Realm Merger of Solaria and Luria Nova
« Reply #60: October 26, 2012, 01:46:30 AM »
He switched the last duchy not with the intent of doing a meger, though, but to keep his assets. Imo, this should be considered... I believe him that merger wasn't the intent.

I think that we should get rid of these tricky rules... let's just add serious penalties for when a duchy switches allegiance and it's either the capital or the last duchy of the old realm. Let's just make the process painful, instead of forcing people who want mergers to find (somewhat easy) workarounds.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: October 26, 2012, 01:57:07 AM »
It is entirely possible that you could end up in a situation where your only option is to die. Them's the breaks.

Quote from: Forbes Family
There was really no opportunity for the other nobles of Solaria to choose if they wanted to join LN or not.
Irrelevant. When the duke switches allegiance, the peons that owe allegiance don't get a choice. That's how the whole hierarchy system is designed to work.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #62: October 26, 2012, 02:07:31 AM »
We might even reconsider the realm merging rule altogether, but for the case, the rules as valid when things happened should count.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: October 26, 2012, 02:11:46 AM »
We might even reconsider the realm merging rule altogether, but for the case, the rules as valid when things happened should count.

Understood.

I just find it odd that no one complained when Fheuv'n folded into Enweil, following the daimon TO.

Should we consider intent, as for capital moves (when RP reasons coincide with a move being "strategic")?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #64: October 26, 2012, 02:36:55 AM »
Intent is always difficult to judge, unless someone has explicitly told about his - guessing about someone else's intent is a bit risky.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: October 26, 2012, 03:39:30 AM »
Intent is always difficult to judge, unless someone has explicitly told about his - guessing about someone else's intent is a bit risky.

I agree, which is why I think we should work in a mechanic that makes these actions harmful and difficult, instead of controlling with rules.

But for this case... the guy was left with a completely nonviable realm. No possibility to make his stronghold a capital. Even if he wanted to remain ruler of those poor regions, it wouldn't have been feasible..

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: October 26, 2012, 04:39:13 AM »
I just find it odd that no one complained when Fheuv'n folded into Enweil, following the daimon TO.

I'm a bit vague on that period, but IIRC, part of my reason for just shrugging and moving on is that I never considered them separate realms to begin with...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: October 26, 2012, 04:49:35 AM »
There were a few inquiries. I think the general consensus was: Well, what do you expect them to do? They're about to lose it all to the daimons anyway, so this desperation move won't do them any good.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #68: October 26, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »
Yes, I think in a PvE situation we can relax the rules a bit that are meant to handle a PvP game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: October 26, 2012, 11:02:55 AM »
There were a few inquiries. I think the general consensus was: Well, what do you expect them to do? They're about to lose it all to the daimons anyway, so this desperation move won't do them any good.

Yea, well, I kinda see a parallel here: Balance's Retreat as a non-capital doesn't make for a viable realm, what would we expect him to do? They wouldn't have even been able to cash in the few bonds they'd get.

egamma

« Reply #70: October 27, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »
removed off-topic posts.

Does anyone else have anything to contribute, relevant to the case at hand?

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: October 27, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »
I would have to say you must look at intent. Although the first duchy changing allegiance is not and was not against the rules because there was still another duchy. The intent was that the whole realm was merging and what was left was to be forsaken to the rogues, thereby eliminating Solaria.

This action is not an exploit of a bug. However IMHO, it is an exploit of the game code not being able to take into consideration the intent of the game. It has been said many times that friendly mergers are not allowed.

An example. On AT you have Strombran. It is essentially a one duchy realm with a second duchy in Clyderee which is only one region. Let's say that Strombran's duchy joined CE so that they could fight a war on Easton and would not have to travel as far for banking. The realm of Strombran is still there, but it really isn't.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:53:24 PM by Forbes Family »
Forbes Family

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: October 27, 2012, 08:33:45 PM »
I would have to say you must look at intent. Although the first duchy changing allegiance is not and was not against the rules because there was still another duchy. The intent was that the whole realm was merging and what was left was to be forsaken to the rogues, thereby eliminating Solaria.

This action is not an exploit of a bug. However IMHO, it is an exploit of the game code not being able to take into consideration the intent of the game. It has been said many times that friendly mergers are not allowed.

An example. On AT you have Strombran. It is essentially a one duchy realm with a second duchy in Clyderee which is only one region. Let's say that Strombran's duchy joined CE so that they could fight a war on Easton and would not have to travel as far for banking. The realm of Strombran is still there, but it really isn't.

You clearly didn't get the intent of the first Duchy Changing. Duchies changing allegiance does not amount to a friendly realm merger. There was nothing friendly about Sun Hall leaving Solaria at all.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: October 27, 2012, 09:26:32 PM »
You clearly didn't get the intent of the first Duchy Changing. Duchies changing allegiance does not amount to a friendly realm merger. There was nothing friendly about Sun Hall leaving Solaria at all.

Not from the Solarian point of view, but obviously the switch of Sun Hall was friendly with Luria Nova.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: October 27, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »
Not from the Solarian point of view, but obviously the switch of Sun Hall was friendly with Luria Nova.

Not relevant. That is not the scope of "friendly" that is being implied here.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.