Author Topic: Regional protests over war  (Read 31831 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Regional protests over war
« Reply #45: October 26, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »
Not true--after your attacks on Maeotis/Paisland/Paisly, several of your regions revolted, and several others nearly so. We were scouting your regions.

The only way you can maintain the tax rate you have is by having your army sitting at home performing police/diplo/civil work daily--that's a pretty clear indication that something is seriously wrong with your taxes. The war declarations was just enough to push your regions over the edge.

Follow the advice given you, and see if you keep your regions. If you follow our advice and still lose your regions, then you have a right to complain. Otherwise, you aren't going to get much sympathy from us.

They revolted because we neglected to feed them during the witner, it had nothing to do with the tax rates.

We've never had to sit at home doing police work to maintain our regions under their current tax rate.

And yes, I'll have to follow the advice if I am to salvage anything of this wreck.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: October 26, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »
We have run the exact same tax rates across the realm continuously since the new estate system was implemented without fault for the entire time

So, you've been holding up 100 pounds over your heads for years. And now someone has added another 100 pounds on top. Don't you think that putting the first hundred pounds down will help you hold up the second hundred until you can get rid of it?

You guys have focused so much on having the ultimate war machine that you've completely neglected everything else in the game. And now it's coming back to bite you. Everyone is giving you very good advice. Use it, even if it means 5 or 6 of your warriors have to put down their swords for the next few weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: October 26, 2012, 06:46:33 PM »
So, you've been holding up 100 pounds over your heads for years. And now someone has added another 100 pounds on top. Don't you think that putting the first hundred pounds down will help you hold up the second hundred until you can get rid of it?

You guys have focused so much on having the ultimate war machine that you've completely neglected everything else in the game. And now it's coming back to bite you. Everyone is giving you very good advice. Use it, even if it means 5 or 6 of your warriors have to put down their swords for the next few weeks.

Yes, well we are adjusting tax rates. Though the war protest coding rather cripples any attempt we can make at actually making war, firstly by losing our regions, secondly by impoverishing us, thirdly by killing our own peasants, and fourthly by making us have to delete a large chunk of our army to then have courtiers and diplomats. So we can lose to war protests, or we can lose to our enemies trying to fight the war protests.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: October 26, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »

I doubt that the damage could be repaired with 20 nobles let alone 5 and with the Astrum army imminently arriving...

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: October 26, 2012, 07:03:26 PM »
I doubt that the damage could be repaired with 20 nobles let alone 5 and with the Astrum army imminently arriving...

Well, some of the damage can be. But many of our regions we may not even be able to arrive in in time to make a difference. The fact the internal situation collapsed in three turns is what is really the annoying part, it fell apart before we even knew there was a problem, let alone before we could do something about it.

egamma

« Reply #50: October 26, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
it fell apart before we even knew there was a problem

You had a daily report on it every single day that said "many people complain about high taxes". That is how you are supposed to know that there is a problem.

FYI, when/if you get things stabilized, you can keep things steady when it says "some people are complaining about high taxes".

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: October 26, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »
Asylon had quite some protests during the last war too,although it didn't hurt us that much. Starvation really crippled used. Despite all that we made it through. My region received 200 bushles just as it was starving like mad a and was enough to get passed the winter.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: October 26, 2012, 07:28:16 PM »
Yes, well we are adjusting tax rates. Though the war protest coding rather cripples any attempt we can make at actually making war, firstly by losing our regions, secondly by impoverishing us, thirdly by killing our own peasants, and fourthly by making us have to delete a large chunk of our army to then have courtiers and diplomats. So we can lose to war protests, or we can lose to our enemies trying to fight the war protests.

OH MY GOSH.

AURVANDIL MIGHT BECOME A NORMAL REALM.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: October 26, 2012, 08:08:49 PM »
WHAT BLASPHEMY ARE YOU SPEWING, VELLOS!

AURVANDIL IS BETTER THAN ALL!

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: October 26, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
The fact the internal situation collapsed in three turns is what is really the annoying part, it fell apart before we even knew there was a problem, let alone before we could do something about it.

This is a stability issue.  It is possible to maintain insanely high tax rates and high stats so long as nothing else happens.  But regions in that state are extremely fragile.  Ask those who have played the "how much can I milk my city for?" game, and they will all tell you that they might run 20-25% taxes, but as soon as anything goes wrong you drop by at least 5%, because if you don't the region collapses.  This is not a unique feature of the regional protests.  This is one of the reasons you don't see taxes that high in most places, because it is dangerous, and most people are worried about missing some sign of trouble that causes a rapid collapse.

I remember there was some muck up with the food and Askileon went hungry (not starving, just hungry) for a day, and stats dropped 20-25% across the board and control dropped from Core to Province. 
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: October 26, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
I really do not know the circumstances but it seems clear that Aurvandil may have been neglecting their commoners a bit. At the same time, I would expect complaints of high taxes, protests of war and such to slowly eat away at region stats. The sudden change seems unrealistic. Of course this is all hear say for me!

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: October 26, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
This is a stability issue.  It is possible to maintain insanely high tax rates and high stats so long as nothing else happens.  But regions in that state are extremely fragile.  Ask those who have played the "how much can I milk my city for?" game, and they will all tell you that they might run 20-25% taxes, but as soon as anything goes wrong you drop by at least 5%, because if you don't the region collapses.  This is not a unique feature of the regional protests.  This is one of the reasons you don't see taxes that high in most places, because it is dangerous, and most people are worried about missing some sign of trouble that causes a rapid collapse.

I remember there was some muck up with the food and Askileon went hungry (not starving, just hungry) for a day, and stats dropped 20-25% across the board and control dropped from Core to Province.
So taxes set at 5% is fine?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: October 26, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »

If you have taxes at 5%, you shouldn't have any problems maintaing your regions unless they are actively starving or being attacked by hostile forces.  Rebuilding them after they have collapsed is, unfortunately, a hell of a lot harder.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: October 26, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »

used to be you can only drop max 5% a day. if i remember correctly. seems to be no limit as such now given how the tax rate drop down list is shown nowadays
firefox

Zakilevo

« Reply #59: October 26, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »
used to be you can only drop max 5% a day. if i remember correctly. seems to be no limit as such now given how the tax rate drop down list is shown nowadays

Which is very good!