Author Topic: BM Stoners?  (Read 21337 times)

cjnodell

Re: BM Stoners?
« Reply #45: July 06, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »
Creating a guild that bases it's membership on OOC Player hobbies seems odd to me. I always figured eligibility for guild membership should be based on IC Character stuff...

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 06, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »
Creating a guild that bases it's membership on OOC Player hobbies seems odd to me. I always figured eligibility for guild membership should be based on IC Character stuff...

Nah, man.

I'm starting up a guild for WoW players next week.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 06, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »
If and when me and Harte set up a stoner guild it would be very much IC with our players smoking something equivalent to weed with similar effects. Obviously this would probably attract ooc weed smokers but there would be a genuine effort to make sure there was some IC substance to it all.

In all honesty it could be similar to the bloodmoon cult. I think there's some really interesting things that the bloodmoon cult has going on and its references to drugs being used with respect and moderation and for a positive effect ( spiritual, relaxing etc). These are all things that are analogous to my ooc thoughts on drugs and they also reflect my characters opinions on mind altering substances as well.

(my character is not a reflection of me ooc but this is one aspect in which we are very similar. Call it an effect of being often stoned when I'm playing BM)

That being said I would totally be down to work with glaumring and join his guild and even start a branch in Terran, BUT for one thing. I think the name bloodmoon cult, especially the cult part of it is really off putting. To me the positive use of drugs and the word cult simply do not go together. I don't know if it's possible to change the name of the guild but honestly I don't think this is something I could move past or ignore.

Also I know there have been other "Stoney guilds" on BM and if/ when this happens I would like to do some research to see where those guilds went wrong and how the idea could be improved to flow better with BM in the most IC way possible.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 07, 2011, 02:00:56 AM »
If and when me and Harte set up a stoner guild it would be very much IC with our players smoking something equivalent to weed with similar effects. Obviously this would probably attract ooc weed smokers but there would be a genuine effort to make sure there was some IC substance to it all.

I really hope the guild is called Skooma Den and every time I pass by one in a region I see a shifty looking Argonian outside >.<

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: July 07, 2011, 07:07:59 AM »
I really hope the guild is called Skooma Den and every time I pass by one in a region I see a shifty looking Argonian outside >.<

This comment made my day.

That being said I would totally be down to work with glaumring and join his guild and even start a branch in Terran, BUT for one thing. I think the name bloodmoon cult, especially the cult part of it is really off putting. To me the positive use of drugs and the word cult simply do not go together. I don't know if it's possible to change the name of the guild but honestly I don't think this is something I could move past or ignore.

I don't see why it would be a problem. Sure, "cult" may have a bit of a negative connotation, but any guild based around drugs or having induced reality-altering experiences is going to draw some negative views and probably take some heat regardless of name. I would just say roll with it. Or make it a secrete society. Bloodmoon cult would be even cooler as a secrete society, probably. But alas, even smaller.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: July 08, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »
Ummm here is cult from the wiki :

The word cult pejoratively refers to a group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre.[1] The word originally denoted a system of ritual practices. The narrower, derogatory sense of the word is a product of the 20th century, especially since the 1980s, and is considered subjective. It is also a result of the anti-cult movement which uses the word in reference to groups seen as authoritarian, exploitative and that are believed to use dangerous rituals or mind control. The word implies a group which is a minority in a given society. The word was first used in the early 17th century denoting homage paid to a divinity and derived from French culte or Latin cultus ‘worship,’ from cult- ‘inhabited, cultivated, worshiped,’ from the verb colere 'care, cultivation'.

Cult seems to fit perfectly with Bloodmoon.

Oh and the Bloodmoon cult will probably have a new guild house in Terran very soon!

PS: I actually originally though about a secret society, but realized if it wants to thrive it must be open.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:23:25 AM by Glaumring »
We live lives in beautiful lies...

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: July 08, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »
Ahh yes I see.. I guess my definition of cult is pretty non SMA. Well I'll look into the bloodmoon cult and see if it's for me. You were saying there'll be a guild house in Terran?

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: July 09, 2011, 12:59:25 AM »
yes it should be built soon.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: July 09, 2011, 05:46:37 AM »
Cool!  ;D

It won't be for a while until I achieve a lordship in Terran, I think, but who knows.  :-X

I got a pretty warm welcome and seems like some bright minds are located in Terran *coughmoresothancaerwyncough* Haven't joined any of the guilds or religion so far, and I don't think I will join a religion. Not for Hyperion, at least.

If I had stayed in Itau, I might have seen more of Glaumorig-a-jig  :P
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: July 09, 2011, 08:35:09 PM »
Cool!  ;D

It won't be for a while until I achieve a lordship in Terran, I think, but who knows.  :-X

I got a pretty warm welcome and seems like some bright minds are located in Terran *coughmoresothancaerwyncough* Haven't joined any of the guilds or religion so far, and I don't think I will join a religion. Not for Hyperion, at least.

If I had stayed in Itau, I might have seen more of Glaumorig-a-jig  :P

Terran will need more knights or a change in estates before we get new regions. Probably there will be a large shuffle in lordships in a month or two.

In the meantime, you should totally join a religion. Especially in Terran. The Senators of 8 regions are Triunists, and 1 is Astroist. Only 1 Senator is not officially religious. All of the Magistrates are religious. Joining a religion in Terran is an important political step, alongside joining the Véinsørmoot.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: July 11, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »
Ummm here is cult from the wiki :

The word cult pejoratively refers to a group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre.[1] The word originally denoted a system of ritual practices. The narrower, derogatory sense of the word is a product of the 20th century, especially since the 1980s, and is considered subjective. It is also a result of the anti-cult movement which uses the word in reference to groups seen as authoritarian, exploitative and that are believed to use dangerous rituals or mind control. The word implies a group which is a minority in a given society. The word was first used in the early 17th century denoting homage paid to a divinity and derived from French culte or Latin cultus ‘worship,’ from cult- ‘inhabited, cultivated, worshiped,’ from the verb colere 'care, cultivation'.

Cult seems to fit perfectly with Bloodmoon.

Oh and the Bloodmoon cult will probably have a new guild house in Terran very soon!

PS: I actually originally though about a secret society, but realized if it wants to thrive it must be open.

A "cult" is a label that the majority uses for the minority. Mind you, some of these minorities have a damn good reason for not becoming a majority.

The Blood Cult called itself so because of how it was labelled by foreigners, so they adopted the name for themselves. They otherwise just considered their lore to be truth, and one doesn't need a name for what is already named.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Rogi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: July 26, 2011, 12:21:44 AM »
Ok guys, after reading all the messages, or at least making a quick view of them I think I will be the only one that will contribute to the original idea of this topic.

Yes I also smoke weed sometimes, as my family names shows, Marley Family. I also tried to make something with weed in relation to Battlemaster, and I decided to create when I started my character a family history and a guide called Marley's Botanical Guide, that can be found in the Wiki under this URL:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Marley%27s_Botanical_Guide

I hope this topic at least shows some creativity and imagination. I usualy use the references of the different herbs I describe in the Marley's Botanical Guide in my roleplay, as all my characters smoke from a wooden pipe and also use the medical propierties of the herbs to help the injured soldiers. The different herbs I describe are only from regions where my character has been, although I don't make herb descriptions of every region as I think it's too much and unnesecary. I would also enjoy to see if there is any other player that uses the weed and herbs with creativity, including it in some way in the game, without doing damage to anyone.

I also don't want to enter the discussion about if it's good or not to smoke, or if it's illegal or not, bla bla bla, it simply sucks and I simply don't care about. Everybody can do what he wants with his body.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: July 26, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
I think that the botanical guide is brilliant and I think it's exactly along the lines of what we are going for.

Something serious that reflects weed in as an IC way as possible without being too obvious or using too many cliches.

I think it's definitely the first step in making this more legitimate. I don't really know what step two is.. I want to make a guild of it but only once we have a good amount of members and once we have an actual goal or reason for having a guild house rather than just the fact our characters share a hobby..

Hmm

Rogi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: July 26, 2011, 09:41:23 PM »
I think everyone that feels reflected with the use of weed, could use it in their RP in a serious way. In the middle age people smoked, smoked herbs, smoked pipes, and this gives some good situations in which use it. I use it in my RP when my characters think about themselves, about the present situation of the realm, or the past and make reflexions about it. But I would like to say, it should be used in a serious way, not as a joke or as something to laugh about, as the game has a serious atmosphere and we should respect it.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: July 26, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
I mean... We can laugh about it sometimes.

Weed is pretty humorous sometimes.

But I should agree it should always be treated in an SMA fashion. And never as simply a blatant, self indulging joke