Author Topic: Dwilight IC and OOC updates and news!  (Read 252374 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight IC and OOC updates and news!
« Reply #540: June 04, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
last bunch of bt daimons were about as anti-sma as anything can get. what was it that they had? teleportation? laser strikes? bit weird to use them in dwi surely?

No, in fact, if you paid attention to what the game text actually said rather than what people nicknamed things, you would have noticed that neither of those things happened during the invasion.

No 4th Invasion NPC had the power of teleportation.  None.  Did they have abilities that allowed them to travel from one place to another in ways not accessible to regular players? Yes.  But those abilities were not teleportation.

The only thing I can figure you mean about "laser strikes" is the Purifying Light, and that had, explicitly, nothing to do with the Daimons.  It was described pretty clearly as a release of mystical energy that disintegrated monsters, undead, and Daimons instantly.

Yes, it was nicknamed "orbital laser strike."  No, that doesn't mean that's what it was.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #541: June 04, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »
Just like there's nothing disproving the existence of supernatural forces defending humanity against the rogue forces of Dwilight. Just because your character has not personally seen god walking the earth and striking down monsters while they march across the plains toward Askileon does not mean that the gods don't exist, or that the the gods aren't helping defend humanity.

So, someone could just as easily create a religion venerating said hypothetical supernatural forces that protect humanity from the full fury of the rogue forces of Dwilight.

You want to do it? You're welcome to.

But the fact that someone could make that religion doesn't make this religion any less valid.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #542: June 04, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
No, in fact, if you paid attention to what the game text actually said rather than what people nicknamed things, you would have noticed that neither of those things happened during the invasion.

No 4th Invasion NPC had the power of teleportation.  None.  Did they have abilities that allowed them to travel from one place to another in ways not accessible to regular players? Yes.  But those abilities were not teleportation.

The only thing I can figure you mean about "laser strikes" is the Purifying Light, and that had, explicitly, nothing to do with the Daimons.  It was described pretty clearly as a release of mystical energy that disintegrated monsters, undead, and Daimons instantly.

Yes, it was nicknamed "orbital laser strike."  No, that doesn't mean that's what it was.

I believe you didn't get what he was saying. Prudent's cloning laboratory ring a bell? Prudent had sci-fi terminology for her RPs, in case you didn't know.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #543: June 04, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »
I believe you didn't get what he was saying. Prudent's cloning laboratory ring a bell? Prudent had sci-fi terminology for her RPs, in case you didn't know.

Ah, you're right, I had forgotten.

The player of Prudent was actively ignoring all attempts by the rest of the GMs—including Tom—to get him to actually join in with the RP we were trying to build for the invasion, and doing his own thing.  I don't know why he was doing this, or why he thought it was a good idea, but essentially, anything Prudent said or did should be considered non-canonical.

Or, if you prefer, what Prudent said can be written off as her having gone insane...and anything that people saw happening around her (ie, roleplays the player wrote) were her hallucinations manifesting due to the fact that she was still a Daimon, and thus immensely powerful.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:04:53 PM by Anaris »
Timothy Collett

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544: June 04, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
But the fact that someone could make that religion doesn't make this religion any less valid.
No, what makes it not a religion is the fact that it's not really a religion. It's a political ideology. A philosophical discussion group. A guild. A knightly order. A drinking society, even. But it is not an organization intended to venerate, worship, promote, idolize, or in any other way spread the influence of the gods they worship. In fact, it is almost the exact opposite. It is that fact that, in my interpretation of the intentions of the mechanics of the game, make it not a religion in the sense of BattleMaster game mechanics.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545: June 04, 2011, 11:07:16 PM »
And so...getting back to Dwilight...

Looks like things are going well in Barca. All is quiet. The peasants are immigrating from D'Hara and Terran. All regions are rogue free. What more could you want?

While we have yet to be tested while my character has been there, it almost looks like Rettle-area could finally be stabilising. Will need the city in better condition first before any reliable speculation can be done though.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:11:44 PM by Bael »

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #546: June 04, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »
I've heard that before  8)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #547: June 05, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
I've heard that before  8)

I've never seen it to this extent, though. Not for the area.

Mind you, the colony game is just serial gambling. You just never know when an "OMG WTF MONSTERS SWARM" is going to appear and ruin months' worth of building up.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #548: June 05, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »
IMHO, it is not enough for an organization to simply acknowledge that gods exist in order to be considered a religion in game mechanics terms. A religion should be devoted to the worship and promotion of those gods. (Whether you are sincere or not is of no consequence.) Otherwise, all you are is a glorified guild.

I have to disagree with this.  One of the wonderful things about SA is that it evolved organically from a few basic principles.  I've heard this repeated so many times that if it wasn't true, it appears to be accepted as canon.   If your argument is that the core principles of TMP are themselves not suited for Dwilight, then I think an equally strong argument can be made for the inappropriateness of SA for Dwilight, based on any number of reasons (historical, cultural, whatever).  TMP has a few basic and inviolate principles.  We've already admitted "sects" who *do* keep their gods, and I doubt it will go too long without the introduction of some kind of manifested higher order. You're attacking a baby in the crib, so to speak. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:05:32 PM by Solari »

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #549: June 05, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Just a note: TMP has already been used for Too Much Peace, so in order to avoid confusion, perhaps use tMP of just MP instead :)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #550: June 05, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »
Just read the wiki page of the MP.

"The Manifest Path endeavours to not ask any leaps of faith, only the exercise of logic with the occasional minor intuitive leap with each step along the Path firmly grounded in provable (or at least supportable) facts."

This contradicts any religious ideology.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #551: June 05, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »
That just pretty much described science.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #552: June 05, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »
Just read the wiki page of the MP.

"The Manifest Path endeavours to not ask any leaps of faith, only the exercise of logic with the occasional minor intuitive leap with each step along the Path firmly grounded in provable (or at least supportable) facts."

This contradicts any religious ideology.

All religions work like that, from the inside. Only the unbelievers think the logic is faulty.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #553: June 05, 2011, 07:01:31 PM »
Not true at all. Granted, some religions might proclaim certain facts. But most, if not all of them, also realize that at the root of it all, religion is separate from reason. There are "leaps of faith in all religions", and that's an arguably indivisible part of their definition.

On a very basic level, I think that religion's basis comes from belief, while reason is based on observations and a priori elements.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 07:04:25 PM by Artemesia »

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #554: June 05, 2011, 07:13:58 PM »
Not true at all. Granted, some religions might proclaim certain facts. But most, if not all of them, also realize that at the root of it all, religion is separate from reason. There are "leaps of faith in all religions", and that's an arguably indivisible part of their definition.

On a very basic level, I think that religion's basis comes from belief, while reason is based on observations and a priori elements.

That's not a very SMA attitude! Today, I can agree with you on this, but if we discuss this it should be in the OOC thread. In the middle ages, the existence of God was very much a proved fact and the basis of all science.
After all it's a roleplaying game.