Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 21323 times)

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #30: September 04, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »
There are comments that he'd already written a big chunk of the next book by the middle of last year, so why are there such huge gaps between releases???

I think it is because he has no idea how the story goes. Most writers know where the story goes and write towards that point. He just writes and hopes for the best. I heared he has rewriten some books twice as he was not happy with the story.

I would suggest you also start praying that he finishes the series before he dies....As that is still be biggest fear of most fans. With the time he uses to write in combination with his age, well it would not be unlikly he dies before finishing it.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 04, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
I would suggest you also start praying that he finishes the series before he dies....As that is still be biggest fear of most fans. With the time he uses to write in combination with his age, well it would not be unlikly he dies before finishing it.

Sheesh, had enough of that concern when I was waiting for the Dark Tower series to be finished by Stephen King... Who is still going years after he finished it though.

Hopefully he's got a few bits done (sounds like he knows the plans for some of the characters, just not all of them) so, if the worst did happen, someone else might be able to pull it al together and finish it off.

I've got a few endings I'd be happy with :)
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 04, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
isn't the delay down to him doing all those other stuff... like the tv series, all the other books, etc?
firefox

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 04, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
That was the part that I liked most (saw the show). There's an author who's not afraid of letting horrible things happen to his main characters. And real/permanent bad things, not as in "oh, in the end, it'll all turn out ok". For a while you think that (with the boy in the beginning, who does indeed wake up again). But when they cut off the head... that's when it sinks in. That this guy is really killing off his protagonists. I like that!

By the end of book 5 I got tired of it. Before then it was ok. He's been wasting our time showing us characters which then die, when I would much rather be reading about other characters. Like Arya.

I would say more, but I can't find the spoiler tags on the formatting options...oh wait, let me write it in white: Which would work, if the forum was actually white... ::)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 07, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »
By the end of book 5 I got tired of it. Before then it was ok. He's been wasting our time showing us characters which then die, when I would much rather be reading about other characters. Like Arya.

I would say more, but I can't find the spoiler tags on the formatting options...oh wait, let me write it in white: Which would work, if the forum was actually white... ::)

I read them without a break, and I started getting bogged down around book 4, but it picked up again for me around middle of book 5.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: September 08, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
"It may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey."

Greatest quote from the whole series.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 08, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »
"It may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey."

Greatest quote from the whole series.

Indeed, it was awesome. But worth a cut throat?

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #37: September 08, 2011, 09:09:11 PM »
I was in a bit of a "what the hell just happened" daze for a while after getting through the Red Wedding bit...

DO NOT GOOGLE THIS.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 08, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »
DO NOT GOOGLE THIS.

INDEED DON'T. Why did I? :(

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: September 09, 2011, 05:44:48 AM »
I read them without a break, and I started getting bogged down around book 4, but it picked up again for me around middle of book 5.

I avoided Brienne and Cersei until midway through dance with dragons because I can't stand the characters (good job George), but yeah it really gets lively at the halfway point.  I'm also a huge fan of the Dornish chapters.  Braavos, too.  Such rich cultures.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: September 09, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »
Indeed, it was awesome. But worth a cut throat?

Just so long as he gets to kill some Freys.

I avoided Brienne and Cersei until midway through dance with dragons because I can't stand the characters (good job George), but yeah it really gets lively at the halfway point.  I'm also a huge fan of the Dornish chapters.  Braavos, too.  Such rich cultures.

I love the Dornish and Ironborn chapters.  I had trouble getting through Sansa's chapters until later, and the last Sansa chapter made me want more.  I didn't care too much for Brienne's story. I like the Cersei stories mainly because they are always active.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: September 11, 2011, 03:32:04 PM »
Having just finished the last book (so far) I will now be incredibly impatient for the next one(s)...

A few more unexpected surprises and it does mean I've still no idea where all this is going to end up (which is good).

Someone who lives nearby go and stand over him until he finishes writing the rest of the series!
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: September 12, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »
After watching the show, I wish a little bit that BattleMaster was like it a lot in term of the in fighting of noble familys, and really feeling like you have control over a territory and mass troops. Though it wouldn't work that well with the coming of going of players, and need for interest in constant warfare

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: September 15, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
Man, I started the 5th book more than a month ago and still haven't finished it. It's just a bit too much detail and meaningless pages of.. stuff. So I've stopped for a while, should finish it soon. Though I was under the impression this was the last book >_<

He's getting old, I hope he doesn't pass away before he finishes the series XD
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: September 17, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »
Man, I started the 5th book more than a month ago and still haven't finished it. It's just a bit too much detail and meaningless pages of.. stuff.

Hmm, yes, I mostly read books for the storyline, not all the stuff. I suspect it is a flaw, however. I finished it in a week or two.   ???