Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Civilization expanding?

Started by Indirik, November 23, 2011, 04:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egamma

Quote from: Vellos on February 12, 2012, 08:58:39 PM
Yeah... if Madina had just played nice and given us what we asked for, Aurvandil would be crushed, and we'd be well on our way to having a 4th Moot realm.

But Madina didn't have enough of a will to live.

Yep...Madina insisted on their suicidal political system and 50 gold per bushel of food.

And, one of the Madinan lords was rude to Gornak, so he bought food from Aurvrandil instead. It pays to be nice...

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: egamma on February 12, 2012, 09:16:25 PM
Yep...Madina insisted on their suicidal political system and 50 gold per bushel of food.

And, one of the Madinan lords was rude to Gornak, so he bought food from Aurvrandil instead. It pays to be nice...

50 gold per bushel of food? That is absurd. That's more than the Zuma would pay for food. I mean seriously, 5000 gold for 100 bushels is just insane.

But in response to the topic at hand, I must say, I think this simply proves that Luria is by and far the best part of Dwilight since we are the only part of Dwilight who will never have a problem of boredom.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Geronus

Quote from: Dante Silverfire on February 12, 2012, 09:24:33 PM
50 gold per bushel of food? That is absurd. That's more than the Zuma would pay for food. I mean seriously, 5000 gold for 100 bushels is just insane.

But in response to the topic at hand, I must say, I think this simply proves that Luria is by and far the best part of Dwilight since we are the only part of Dwilight who will never have a problem of boredom.

That would be 50 gold per 100, which is the most you can charge I think. You can only set buy and sell prices in allotments of 100 bushels.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: Geronus on February 12, 2012, 09:29:21 PM
That would be 50 gold per 100, which is the most you can charge I think. You can only set buy and sell prices in allotments of 100 bushels.

Really? So the code has changed that as well then? You used to be able to buy and sell at whatever prices you wanted to.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Vellos

Quote from: Geronus on February 12, 2012, 09:29:21 PM

You can buy or sell at any price.

Food was D'Hara's main demand, but, as it would happen, D'hara wasn't the muscle behind the Moot at the time. As Terran's armies would have been doing much of the fighting, what we wanted was for Madina to alter its government system to ensure a more stable, centralized, controlled system. I get why they rejected that demand, but I don't think they realized at the time the effect their decision would have.

Of course, even if they had reformed their government, we still would have demanded high food prices. And we would have been looking for a way to co-opt the intended colony to turn it against Madina.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

Quote from: Vellos on February 12, 2012, 10:11:20 PM
You can buy or sell at any price.

Food was D'Hara's main demand, but, as it would happen, D'hara wasn't the muscle behind the Moot at the time. As Terran's armies would have been doing much of the fighting, what we wanted was for Madina to alter its government system to ensure a more stable, centralized, controlled system. I get why they rejected that demand, but I don't think they realized at the time the effect their decision would have.

Of course, even if they had reformed their government, we still would have demanded high food prices. And we would have been looking for a way to co-opt the intended colony to turn it against Madina.

Madina's whole point of differentiation was their crazy government, it was the very core of the realm. If they had to give that up to get support, they may just have had to question if the realm that would survive was worth it. Perhaps for all the selfish behaviour their government encouraged, they were one of the few realms who's sense of honour prevented them from betraying their ideals to merely survive.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: De-Legro on February 12, 2012, 11:06:18 PM
Madina's whole point of differentiation was their crazy government, it was the very core of the realm. If they had to give that up to get support, they may just have had to question if the realm that would survive was worth it. Perhaps for all the selfish behaviour their government encouraged, they were one of the few realms who's sense of honour prevented them from betraying their ideals to merely survive.

Hehe, look at PeL. "Sense of honour" = destruction. funny how that happens.

De-Legro

Quote from: Dante Silverfire on February 12, 2012, 11:20:05 PM
Hehe, look at PeL. "Sense of honour" = destruction. funny how that happens.

The realm poisoned their own King, honour may not be quite the word you are looking for.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: De-Legro on February 12, 2012, 11:48:30 PM
The realm poisoned their own King, honour may not be quite the word you are looking for.

Well that first part isn't decidedly confirmed one way or the other.

What I meant was, being honorable enough to not ask their own nobles to commit suicide including members of their realm government, and making demands of determining the leadership of a fellow realm. (Excluding Koli because he's not there anymore)

Although that brings up a good point, perhaps it is curious that King Koli being put out of the way is also wanted by many of those now waring on PeL and they are all quite happy with the outcome of it, even if they dislike how it occurred? (Would have rather deposed him themselves?)

De-Legro

Quote from: Dante Silverfire on February 12, 2012, 11:51:25 PM
Well that first part isn't decidedly confirmed one way or the other.

What I meant was, being honorable enough to not ask their own nobles to commit suicide including members of their realm government, and making demands of determining the leadership of a fellow realm. (Excluding Koli because he's not there anymore)

Although that brings up a good point, perhaps it is curious that King Koli being put out of the way is also wanted by many of those now waring on PeL and they are all quite happy with the outcome of it, even if they dislike how it occurred? (Would have rather deposed him themselves?)

Actually, Solaria at least wanted King Koli to remain, we just wanted some of the nobles that were forcing him to make bad compromises removed. Notice we never issued a blood debt on Koli, nor required him to abdicate.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: De-Legro on February 12, 2012, 11:55:15 PM
Actually, Solaria at least wanted King Koli to remain, we just wanted some of the nobles that were forcing him to make bad compromises removed. Notice we never issued a blood debt on Koli, nor required him to abdicate.

Luria Nova wanted him gone apparently though. Although my character was never one forcing him to do anything it seems at least to me.

Glaumring the Fox

Quote from: Creed on February 12, 2012, 06:49:25 PM
Though you can win with a bad hand in poker.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean you play every bad hand given to you just hoping through some sort of luck you'll take the whole table, knowing when to play a bad hand or not is part of the strategy. Not everyone enjoys  the delicate intricate dance that is war, many consider it a savage art... Where others believe it is the highest form of human expression.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

JPierreD

Quote from: Carna on February 11, 2012, 05:57:14 PM
Balance's Retreat. Not profitable? Well, the stronghold probably isn't. How about all those mountains? They have to produce enough food to feed themselves. Its a Rule. Same for BR stronghold. Only regions that don't produce enough food are cities, I've been told. Even still, a BR realm has D'Hara to its west, who want to sell people food. Rogues? Barca was full of rogues too. Unbearably so. Not exactly a big problem these days. Gold? Well, I can't say. I was and am planning at some point in the next few weeks to commission someone IC to go find out.

Would a BR realm be the strongest on Dwilight? Probably never. But most defendable? Well, unless compared to the Zuma or the SA realms to the very north, acceptably so because of the very travel times bitched about. But a BR realm has style. I never really looked at Darfix. I always thought a realm in those mountains north of the Lurias would be cool though. Still do, enough that I'd give up my Duchy if I had a chance to be a part of it. To answer the question though, unless it was well and truly impossible to survive, there definiately are players interested. Myself included, and not having discussed it at large, I know of three players straight away.

When you consider that soldiers travel through the region and consume food, a realm in BR would have negative food output. I don't know after the production changes, but before the gold production of each mountain didn't reach three digits. So if you don't have food nor gold to buy it then it serves for little to have a "defensible" position.

Regardless all of that, if I ever get the chance I will attempt to do it. I just realize it will be a realm completely dependent on others, both for food, gold and even soldiers (it won't be able to support many nobles and their RCs will draft painfully slowly).
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Perth

Quote from: JPierreD on February 13, 2012, 03:58:52 AM
When you consider that soldiers travel through the region and consume food, a realm in BR would have negative food output. I don't know after the production changes, but before the gold production of each mountain didn't reach three digits. So if you don't have food nor gold to buy it then it serves for little to have a "defensible" position.

Regardless all of that, if I ever get the chance I will attempt to do it. I just realize it will be a realm completely dependent on others, both for food, gold and even soldiers (it won't be able to support many nobles and their RCs will draft painfully slowly).

AKA: Awesome Crusader/Monastery/Templar/Religious Order stronghold locked away in the mountains funded and supplied by the rich and powerful parent realm/organization.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

JPierreD

Quote from: Perth on February 13, 2012, 07:56:34 AM
AKA: Awesome Crusader/Monastery/Templar/Religious Order stronghold locked away in the mountains funded and supplied by the rich and powerful parent realm/organization.

Precisely, with priests coming and going to bring gold to the realm. ;D
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).