Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Civilization expanding?

Started by Indirik, November 23, 2011, 04:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dante Silverfire

The question becomes: When everyone gets contaced very soon about making this a reality, will people actually stand by the stuff they think IC?

We'll see I guess, because the IC motivation and reasons for doing so are already in place and under way...
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

JPierreD

Quote from: Dante Silverfire on February 13, 2012, 08:01:17 AM
The question becomes: When everyone gets contaced very soon about making this a reality, will people actually stand by the stuff they think IC?

We'll see I guess, because the IC motivation and reasons for doing so are already in place and under way...

Do you mean the Manifest Path's crusader-state-dream?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

De-Legro

Quote from: Dante Silverfire on February 13, 2012, 08:01:17 AM

Considering the number of groups that currently lay claim to the region, I would think any group attempting it may face stiff competition. Bigger problem is only a few realms are capable of setting it up, since colony takeovers aren't active on testing, so you need to expand to the region then secede.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: De-Legro on February 13, 2012, 11:03:43 AM
Considering the number of groups that currently lay claim to the region, I would think any group attempting it may face stiff competition. Bigger problem is only a few realms are capable of setting it up, since colony takeovers aren't active on testing, so you need to expand to the region then secede.

How long have colony takeovers been disactive? This is the first that I've heard of such a thing, and how long till that is fixed?

The number of groups that actually lay claim to the Divides, (with historical basis for such) actually isn't that much. They key is simply to have support from a lot of people, while having actual backing from at least one of those main groups. Especially with what, at least 2 dukes now having stated they be willing to go for it? That's a lot of gold...
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

Quote from: Dante Silverfire on February 13, 2012, 08:32:31 PM
How long have colony takeovers been disactive? This is the first that I've heard of such a thing, and how long till that is fixed?

The new takeover system does not yet support colony takeovers. We're working on a good way to handle them.

The number of groups that actually lay claim to the Divides, (with historical basis for such) actually isn't that much. They key is simply to have support from a lot of people, while having actual backing from at least one of those main groups. Especially with what, at least 2 dukes now having stated they be willing to go for it? That's a lot of gold...

Um...I don't think anyone besides Luria really has much of a historical basis for a claim. Unless you're talking a role-played historical basis, which anyone could make up if it suited them.

As far as groups that have stated their intention to go claim the Retreat and the Divides...there's got to be at least a half-dozen. Probably more that I never heard about.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

To be fair, many of these groups let go of their plans once they find out that Divide mountains =/= big bags of sweet mountain gold. And there was at least one group who thought BR was a city, and not a stronghold. When they found out it was the latter, they abandoned the idea :P

Indirik

Balance's Retreat being a stronghold actually makes it better than a city. At least it can feed itself.

That doesn't mean that the realm in that location can actually be worth anything. I'm just sayin'...

But it could be a fun place to be. :)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: Indirik on February 13, 2012, 09:32:13 PM
Balance's Retreat being a stronghold actually makes it better than a city. At least it can feed itself.

That doesn't mean that the realm in that location can actually be worth anything. I'm just sayin'...

Depends on how you define worth anything. I mean, a realm that is fairly hard to attack, while not really being a military threat to anyone, has a lot of possibilities. May not be worth much on a strategy game side, but otherwise, can be a lot of fun.

Indirik

Well, I did say it could be fun.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: Indirik on February 13, 2012, 09:36:00 PM
Well, I did say it could be fun.

True, just saying it could still be "worth something" depending upon what you want it for.

Sacha

I think we can all agree that whoever thinks they can have an uber-1337 asskicking mountain fortress goldmine with BR at the core is going to be sorely disappointed if they ever make it all the way up there.

But, purely for RP possibilities, I'd be very interested in seeing a realm or even a duchy formed there.

De-Legro

Quote from: Dante Silverfire on February 13, 2012, 08:32:31 PM

Sure, now you need to do is get the IG support of those Dukes for your effort, when for all you know they support one of the many existing effort. This isn't a case of, yeah people will pony up support for anyone interested.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: De-Legro on February 13, 2012, 10:14:16 PM
Sure, now you need to do is get the IG support of those Dukes for your effort, when for all you know they support one of the many existing effort. This isn't a case of, yeah people will pony up support for anyone interested.

Haha, I understand completely. That's why everything beyond these vague statements is handled IC as it should be.

Vellos

Quote from: Sacha on February 13, 2012, 09:45:56 PM
I think we can all agree that whoever thinks they can have an uber-1337 asskicking mountain fortress goldmine with BR at the core is going to be sorely disappointed if they ever make it all the way up there.

But, purely for RP possibilities, I'd be very interested in seeing a realm or even a duchy formed there.

Would a BR realm be so different from later-life Ubent?

Except its neighbors would be more distant, and it's mountains even more difficult to assail?

Personally, if I could contrive an RP basis for my next character to go to a BR realm, I would. I just think it'd be really neat.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

Quote from: egamma on February 12, 2012, 09:16:25 PM
Yep...Madina insisted on their suicidal political system and 50 gold per bushel of food.

And, one of the Madinan lords was rude to Gornak, so he bought food from Aurvrandil instead. It pays to be nice...

Their duke was also rude to Machiavel. And so Paisly as well bought from Aurvandil, and from everywhere else, limiting imports from Madina to a bare minimum while buying as much as possible from Aurvandil.

Quote from: Vellos on February 12, 2012, 10:11:20 PM
You can buy or sell at any price.

Food was D'Hara's main demand, but, as it would happen, D'hara wasn't the muscle behind the Moot at the time. As Terran's armies would have been doing much of the fighting, what we wanted was for Madina to alter its government system to ensure a more stable, centralized, controlled system. I get why they rejected that demand, but I don't think they realized at the time the effect their decision would have.

Of course, even if they had reformed their government, we still would have demanded high food prices. And we would have been looking for a way to co-opt the intended colony to turn it against Madina.

Terran might be the might, but D'Hara produces a lot of gold. We don't have a big army because nobody sees the need for one or cares to spend their gold on one. Though the high prices we were paying did cause some serious financial strains at times, these were exaggerated a bit as well: Out of Paisly's huge trade deficit, most of that gold was going to D'Haran regions, for example. We couldn't have fought Madina very hard ourselves, but we sure could have financed Aurvandil's war efforts with relative ease.

Quote from: Indirik on February 13, 2012, 09:32:13 PM

I think isolation is overrated. The concept sounds cool, but this game is based on communication, and the cool factor of being cut off from everyone will quickly lose its appeal, imo. It the settlers of BR want a good time, they have to make sure to maintain constant communication with the outside world. Which is feasible, if you consider it would likely need to be sponsored by an established realm, or many, to have any chances whatsoever.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron