Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Fifth Invasion

Started by Lefanis, December 02, 2011, 02:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geronus

Quote from: Indirik on March 22, 2012, 03:03:27 AM
I admit that I don't know much of anything about the invasion progress. I can't seem to get any information out of anyone, other than basic reports of "Midnight is here", "Darkest hour is there", "Can anyone send help?" If anyone is doing anything, or things are being figured out, then they're being done in circles I'm not it.

Someone mentioned you tipped him off about the flesheaters' 'special ability'. Annoyingly, my own general has not seen fit to pass on that information to me.

Tom

Quote from: Geronus on March 22, 2012, 12:09:47 AM
We're basically attempting to play a game we don't understand and calculate the score without knowing the rules.

Which is why I'm telling you to be more of a roleplayer and less of a gamer. It'll dramatically improve your enjoyment.

Gustav Kuriga

Tom, even a roleplay game has very basic rules for both enemies and allies that all the players will understand. people are complaining not because they dont know the entire story, such as would be the case in a true roleplay, but they dont understand the very basic rules of the game they are playing. Oh, and one thing you should understand. Role-play IS a form of game.

Chaotrance13

Quote from: Geronus on March 22, 2012, 03:23:06 AM
Someone mentioned you tipped him off about the flesheaters' 'special ability'. Annoyingly, my own general has not seen fit to pass on that information to me.

Who's "someone"? The cat's mother? I have a name, you know.

Tom

Quote from: Gustav Kuriga on March 22, 2012, 10:08:59 AM
Tom, even a roleplay game has very basic rules for both enemies and allies that all the players will understand.

I play a lot of LARP, much of which has no such rules. And it works great.

fodder

Quote from: Indirik on March 22, 2012, 03:01:38 AM
There is a semi-regular schedule for when inactive accounts get deleted. But I thought someone said that the player had already deleted the locked accounts?
That would work, too.
looks like both are gone now. (1 was deleted, the other one was hanging around then)... can't be that long before the temples go kaput then.. unless someone converts XD
firefox

Chenier

Quote from: Indirik on March 22, 2012, 03:03:27 AM
I admit that I don't know much of anything about the invasion progress. I can't seem to get any information out of anyone, other than basic reports of "Midnight is here", "Darkest hour is there", "Can anyone send help?" If anyone is doing anything, or things are being figured out, then they're being done in circles I'm not it.

I don't "know" as much as I "feel". I'm probably the ruler who knows the least, being the least liked one and having allies that often can't be bothered to pass on important info.

Like right now, it feels like the daimons are getting their asses kicked, despite horrendous levels of information sharing and cooperation from the human realms.

Quote from: Tom on March 22, 2012, 12:09:48 PM

I mostly agree. Focus on what you can do instead of what you can't. Then consider any progress on the thing you can't control as a bonus. Makes it less frustrating.

Also, I really feel like Tom's really holding back to give us a chance. If I understand some of the daimons' abilities well, and they were used in an optimal manner, I'm pretty sure Sint, Nothoi, and Fheuv'n could have been crushed a long, long time ago. I'm pretty confident I could have. But it would have been cheap as hell and very frustrating for the players. He's giving us plenty of chances.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Naidraug

I would agree to that IF this was a LARP, or a full RPG, but it is not. It is a web-browser game with some role-playing parts [that can be, and usually are optional].

Quote from: Chénier on March 22, 2012, 12:47:40 PM
I don't "know" as much as I "feel". I'm probably the ruler who knows the least, being the least liked one and having allies that often can't be bothered to pass on important info.

Like right now, it feels like the daimons are getting their asses kicked, despite horrendous levels of information sharing and cooperation from the human realms.

It is more or less, the cooperation is, or at least was, better, but now with every realm being attacked on the north it is harder to send aid to others.

On the information, well there is little, and for what i could tell, you're excluded from most of it
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

De-Legro

Besides they understand the basic rules of the game. Turns, CS, actions, orders these are all the same as always.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Geronus

Quote from: Ravier on March 22, 2012, 10:16:13 AM
Who's "someone"? The cat's mother? I have a name, you know.

Yes, but I was too lazy to scroll back through and find your post  ;D

Chenier

Quote from: Naidraug on March 22, 2012, 01:03:07 PM
On the information, well there is little, and for what i could tell, you're excluded from most of it

Indeed.

Hence why cultural assimilation and reunification with Enweil is a greater priority to fighting the daimons on my todo list. Why focus on things one can't control, when one has an empire to build!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

Quote from: Tom on March 22, 2012, 08:32:16 AM
Which is why I'm telling you to be more of a roleplayer and less of a gamer. It'll dramatically improve your enjoyment.

What, you mean go with the flow? Enjoy it for what it is? I am, more or less, or trying to. I'm doing what I can given what I know and it's definitely better than the last Invasion was where I felt like the players were almost completely powerless. It just doesn't feel like we're really getting anywhere. Like we're kind of treading water while the downward suction is slowly increasing.

Again, not really trying to complain here. Just making some observations. I guess I get what you're trying to do, but as you pointed out earlier, it's a very fine line between demoralizing the characters and demoralizing the players. I still maintain that the overall experience could be improved a bit with a few indicators of progress here and there, unless you maintain that there already are enough and that we should be able to see them if we look for them. Personally I don't really see them, but maybe I just don't know what I'm looking at.

Chenier

Quote from: Geronus on March 22, 2012, 01:21:10 PM
What, you mean go with the flow? Enjoy it for what it is? I am, more or less, or trying to. I'm doing what I can given what I know and it's definitely better than the last Invasion was where I felt like the players were almost completely powerless. It just doesn't feel like we're really getting anywhere. Like we're kind of treading water while the downward suction is slowly increasing.

Again, not really trying to complain here. Just making some observations. I guess I get what you're trying to do, but as you pointed out earlier, it's a very fine line between demoralizing the characters and demoralizing the players. I still maintain that the overall experience could be improved a bit with a few indicators of progress here and there, unless you maintain that there already are enough and that we should be able to see them if we look for them. Personally I don't really see them, but maybe I just don't know what I'm looking at.

Wars of attrition are lost by whoever quits first. ;)

Just keep defeating daimon armies, retaking their regions, converting their followers, and executing as many of their leaders as you can.

Indirik

One of our guys go jumped by the flesh eaters the first turn they showed up. When we fought them again two days later we compared all the scout and battle reports. We reported that to the Draconic Union, and I think OG used that info to make a quick attack, knowing they would lose, but hoping to thin them out before they got too strong.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chaotrance13

Quote from: Indirik on March 22, 2012, 04:11:55 PM
One of our guys go jumped by the flesh eaters the first turn they showed up. When we fought them again two days later we compared all the scout and battle reports. We reported that to the Draconic Union, and I think OG used that info to make a quick attack, knowing they would lose, but hoping to thin them out before they got too strong.

That was my strategy exactly. Unfortunately, a combination of scroll use plus continuing genocides made staying any longer than we did pointless.