Author Topic: Fifth Invasion  (Read 437616 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Fifth Invasion
« Reply #240: December 15, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »
Bahaha! Not Riombara I'm pretty sure. I know ours responded early. Don't know about the other southern realms though...

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #241: December 15, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »
Hm, are you sure? I never saw a copy of Jethro's response, more like he was reporting what was happening on the ruler channel.

If he did reply, then it's Enweil that's screwed since all others replied in public before OG.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #242: December 15, 2011, 10:48:34 PM »
Don't know if he shared what he wrote IC, but I know the player IRL and he claimed he replied within 20 minutes or so to the original ultimatum when I asked him about it.

I wonder if the north will bother coming down to help either way... Especially the Nothoi/OG/Sint bloc.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #243: December 15, 2011, 11:03:51 PM »
I suppose it's Enweil then...

I guess there'll be some hurt feelings in OG that Enweil was just going to let them take the fall.
But they'd be idiots not to send help South, even though it'll probably be too late now.

It's also a long distance to travel so it's doubtful that the north could send as much help as they sent to OG.

I was almost hoping that we could beat them in Ircymbar, now I'm much less optimistic. :P

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #244: December 15, 2011, 11:19:20 PM »
Not including Sint's forces, who would have come from another direction, the Thalmarkin, Melhed, and OG have 32k in Junohelp alone.  Would have been nice to see the combined allied forces fight in that battle...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #245: December 15, 2011, 11:25:28 PM »
Hm, are you sure? I never saw a copy of Jethro's response, more like he was reporting what was happening on the ruler channel.

If he did reply, then it's Enweil that's screwed since all others replied in public before OG.

Enweil did reply, mind you after Old Grehk, which I found interesting. (3 days, 18 hours ago)

I don't recall seeing Rio's declaration either. But I haven't bothere to actually compile everyone's declarations yet, as I have my exams going on.

If someone has the time, that's totally something worth archiving: every realm's response to the ultimatum.

Also, Overlord is inceptionalicious. He said Old Grehk, but showed up in Sint, and will attack somewhere else? A trick within a trick within a trick!

Mind you, nobody even had the time to react to the first trick, so it kinda defeated its own purpose. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #246: December 15, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »
Because simple is bad!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:31:31 PM by Marlboro Man »
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #247: December 16, 2011, 01:09:43 AM »
If you recall, Overlord did mention that not everyone replied publicly. Therefore, it may be that he is indeed following his own rules set forth in the ultimatum, but we just don't see the whole picture.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #248: December 16, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
If you recall, Overlord did mention that not everyone replied publicly. Therefore, it may be that he is indeed following his own rules set forth in the ultimatum, but we just don't see the whole picture.

I asked, as the first to reply, that others reply publicly such as I.

The only reply we did not have publicly was from Rio. They say that they replied privately 20 minutes after the invasion "as we bickered like children". I don't remember Overlord specifically asking for a public refusal. Mind you, some could have refused publicly and sent private "ignore what I just said" messages. Old Grehk's declaration was pretty timid, for example, but Overlord's speaches don't tend to make me believe they were the ones (though I guess it's possible).

It is possible, however, that Overlord overlooked one message, or is reacting to Enweil's being late (Overlord said the target had been picked 7 hours after the ultimatum was made). Overlord said:

You fools fall for the most primitive piece of misdirection, because you can't trust each other. It is true, not everyone replied in public, but I never said everyone had done so. Someone amongst your kind knew full well that he hadn't yet replied when I announced the winner of our little game.
And he kept quiet. I can not believe it! He left his own kind to be crushed. Did he think I missed him and didn't want to point it out? Or was he secretly happy?

So from what I have, I'd have to say Rio just lied. Because Enweil did not "keep quiet" about the ultimatum. Though I guess you could say they "kept quiet" about not having been targeted, despite replying late. Besides, even had anyone else been the one to declare late, I wouldn't have expected them to say "No, I was late, pick me instead", because that would be recognizing the daimons' legitimacy in attacking whoever saw the letter last, admiting that the late realm was "at fault" and that he should be the "rightful" target. Not to mention that Old Grehk is probably the most easy realm to defend of them all, being pretty damn intact and surrounded by strong allies and other human realms as opposed to Enweil which was badly damaged in the invasion and is just surrounded by Fheuv'n (tiny and poor) and Rio.

Guess it could be Enweil, though. Or Rio lied. Or someone sent a "ignore our public annoucement" message. We'll see soon enough.

I just hope we get to TO Zuhle before they strike, though... we *really* need to shorten the gap between ourselves and Fronen for these food transfers.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #249: December 16, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
I just hope we get to TO Zuhle before they strike, though... we *really* need to shorten the gap between ourselves and Fronen for these food transfers.

That kinda imploded with the morning turn, didn't it? :-)

If you read everything carefully, you will notice that Overlord was 100% truthful on the small "you decide" game. Indeed, when he announced it, the "winner" had been decided - because only one had not replied, so that one was by definition the last. Though you could argue that OG was the last to reply, if you interpret the "rules" that way. So much fun.

I just noticed someone realized that if you all had kept your mouths shut, there would have been no "last". I was actually expecting that. A few replies and then the rest get their heads together and realize that the only way to defeat Overlord in this game would be to have at least two realms not respond at all.

Yes, tricks within tricks...

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #250: December 16, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
And then the Overlord would have just picked one to march towards :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #251: December 16, 2011, 01:47:54 PM »
That kinda imploded with the morning turn, didn't it? :-)

Sure did!

If you read everything carefully, you will notice that Overlord was 100% truthful on the small "you decide" game. Indeed, when he announced it, the "winner" had been decided - because only one had not replied, so that one was by definition the last. Though you could argue that OG was the last to reply, if you interpret the "rules" that way. So much fun.

I just noticed someone realized that if you all had kept your mouths shut, there would have been no "last". I was actually expecting that. A few replies and then the rest get their heads together and realize that the only way to defeat Overlord in this game would be to have at least two realms not respond at all.

Yes, tricks within tricks...

Didn't think of that. However, that would require a LOT more trust than what anyone has of each other.

Also, When I read back the messages, I'm always like "didn't he say MORE?" You did trick us in well in that regard, I was convinced I actually read that Old Grehk had been chosen.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #252: December 16, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »
Don't know if he shared what he wrote IC, but I know the player IRL and he claimed he replied within 20 minutes or so to the original ultimatum when I asked him about it.

I wonder if the north will bother coming down to help either way... Especially the Nothoi/OG/Sint bloc.

What was this ultimatum, exactly? I don't have a char on BT, (aside from a five-day-old advy) but am interested in what goes on.

Beluaterra is the only place this can really happen. It is the invasion island. None of the other islands have the background to be able to support an invasion. As much as any player may like or dislike any individual island, we have to stick with the expectations that are the basis for each individual island. BT is the invasion island. AT/EC is not. So BT gets invaded, and AT/EC do not.

So is that an official declaration that no other island will become the invasion island if BT goes down?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253: December 16, 2011, 02:56:33 PM »
So is that an official declaration that no other island will become the invasion island if BT goes down?
I can't make that declaration for future cases. I can only provide the reasoning that was used to invade/close down BT.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #254: December 16, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »

Kind of like the prisoner's dilemma. Interesting, since the Overlord seems so bent on honour. Perhaps use that against him?