Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

New Trade System Feedback

Started by Tom, January 28, 2012, 02:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indirik

Traders have longer range. Good traders have a MUCH longer range. The people in the other realm may not be able to see the other offers and be unable to trade on them. Traders can also trade on multiple offers at once, match, for example, 5 buys with 4 sells, etc.

When food is traded, the lord/steward of each region involved is informed of who they traded with. If Eidulb buys food from Libidizedd, then Libidizedd's lord and steward are told that Eidulb bought their food.

If a trade is brokered, then all parties are informed of the name of the trader doing the brokering, but not the other trading partners. So if a foreign trader is acting on your offers, then you may have reason for politics to be involved. Especially if you see your enemy's trade offers disappearing at the same time as your trade offers are being brokered by a third party.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

Quote from: Ironsides on February 10, 2012, 02:19:58 AM
So, there is no reason for me to arrange trade deals between two realms? Our realm will just post a bunch of offers to the market and hope that our target realm seeks them out if they felt like it? I don't see how politics could get involved in that. No one would have any idea who bought our food in the end. It'll just go somewhere, maybe.

Apart from the fact that the treaty system does nothing anyway?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Eithad

So, there is no reason for me to arrange trade deals between two realms? Our realm will just post a bunch of offers to the market and hope that our target realm seeks them out if they felt like it? I don't see how politics could get involved in that. No one would have any idea who bought our food in the end. It'll just go somewhere, maybe.

Why do you care where the food goes, as long as you get the gold and they get the food or the other way around. You can still negotiate deals, but if you are willing to make an exchange at a certain price why does it matter who it is with. You can still talk to try to convince people to lower their prices if they are too high for you.

De-Legro

Quote from: Eithad on February 10, 2012, 06:16:39 AM
Why do you care where the food goes, as long as you get the gold and they get the food or the other way around. You can still negotiate deals, but if you are willing to make an exchange at a certain price why does it matter who it is with. You can still talk to try to convince people to lower their prices if they are too high for you.

There are many cases when you might care. For instance you might be trying to prevent a city from a friendly realm from starving. You would much prefer the food arrives in the city in such a circumstance. You might be in a cold war with another realm, and thus not too happy if they buy food from you. etc

Eithad

Quote from: De-Legro on February 10, 2012, 06:18:35 AM
There are many cases when you might care. For instance you might be trying to prevent a city from a friendly realm from starving. You would much prefer the food arrives in the city in such a circumstance. You might be in a cold war with another realm, and thus not too happy if they buy food from you. etc

Have the starving city set a buy offer at a lower price. Fill the offer.

If you don't want your food sold, don't put it on the market, or put it there at a price you are willing to part with it, even to an enemy.

De-Legro

Quote from: Eithad on February 10, 2012, 06:23:00 AM
Have the starving city set a buy offer at a lower price. Fill the offer.

If you don't want your food sold, don't put it on the market, or put it there at a price you are willing to part with it, even to an enemy.

Yes, of course, I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of times you DO care about who gets food. Doesn't mean there should be a way to control it.

Tom

So, there is no reason for me to arrange trade deals between two realms?

It could still be useful to let the other realm know what deals you offer so they can send over a trader or two. But you can't do exclusivity, and that is 100% intentional.

Tom

Quote from: De-Legro on February 10, 2012, 06:18:35 AM

If the city is starving, it will certainly have several buy offers open. Accept the buy offers, done, there you go.

Zakilevo

Wait. I just posted an offer 30 gold per 100 bushels. So If someone from the city accepts the offer, I will get 30 gold automatically? Whats the point of building a market place?

Telrunya

The someone from the City will need to use a marketplace to accept that offer. You can only actually trade at marketplaces.

Indirik

Quote from: Telrunya on February 10, 2012, 07:39:31 PMYou can only actually trade at marketplaces.
This is not strictly true. A lord/steward can trade if they are in their home region, if there is a marketplace there or not. If they are also a trader, I believe they can broker deals from there, too.

Marketplaces do three things:
  • A trader who is not a lord/steward must be at a marketplace in order to broker trade deals.
  • A lord/steward who is not in their home region can only post and accept offers if they are in a region with a marketplace.
  • Marketplaces increase the range at which you can act on a trade offer. Without a marketplace, the max range for a lord/steward is 250 miles. A marketplace increases that to 400 miles.

Telrunya

Thanks for the clarification :)

egamma

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Trade

Updated wiki with new information--the 250/400 mile limits, and also a fact i just discovered--a trader-lord cannot broker a trade with his own region if he is outside of the trade radius. He can act as a normal lord, but he can't broker a deal with his own region when he's 1000 miles away.

fodder

um... why would he need to broker a trade with his own region? aside from not being able to match up the trades around... which he wouldn't need to.. since he could just fulfil the trades directly?
firefox

Indirik

A lord can never broker a trade that includes his own region.