Author Topic: Aurvandil's War Machine  (Read 83266 times)

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
Re: Aurvandil's War Machine
« Reply #195: February 15, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »
What tax rates are you running in the cities? According to the game, 14% is high. I would have thought that 23% would get you tossed out right away.

Also, remember that Aurvandil (until recently) only had one city.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #196: February 15, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »
The capital of a small realm, with the support of the Lord or a good Courtier can often have 20%+ tax rates.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #197: February 15, 2012, 10:14:28 PM »
I'm obviously playing this wrong then :)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #198: February 16, 2012, 03:43:19 AM »
What tax rates are you running in the cities? According to the game, 14% is high. I would have thought that 23% would get you tossed out right away.

We have one courtier and 4 knight plus my estate in the city which boosts both Authoirty and Production to 250%+. 4 days until my next tax: tax income   23 %   1361 gold
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #199: February 16, 2012, 07:03:46 AM »
I've been running 25% tax rate in Golden Farrow for a couple weeks now...

With an investment, currently 108% production, I am projected to bring in 3200 gold.   1914 gold to me and 1286 to my 4 knights. 
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #200: February 16, 2012, 09:22:53 PM »

I ran Askileon at 19% with Koli only working on it, and I've seen regions run at 25% with lord in residence and proper buro support (I say buro because this was before the new class system).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #201: February 17, 2012, 05:00:54 AM »
Again, a positive return in a city.

I just invested in Chesney:
You have now invested 370 gold in this region, boosting production by 69 % to 169 %. Your advisors hope for a return of ca. 420 gold, if everything works well.

Positive returns in a city.

Looks pretty consistent to me. Investments yield positive returns in cities; might not elsewhere.

I invest consistently in cities, consistently at a loss. Perhaps that's because I invest at 100% production.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202: February 17, 2012, 05:48:58 AM »
I invest consistently in cities, consistently at a loss. Perhaps that's because I invest at 100% production.

My investment in Giask was made at 99% production. And the expected gain is high.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #203: February 17, 2012, 07:33:18 AM »

Very strange.

Maybe Tom has already coded in a diminishing return? Maybe frequency of investment diminishes returns?

Or maybe it's not about production, but about population? Are the cities where you invest at full population?

Is the tax rate atypical?

Is there a very large militia presence?

Has it suffered any anomalies in the past week that could cause the game to make erroneous predictions if those predictions were made on the previous week's info?

I've personally never made an investment with negative returns that I can remember.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #204: February 17, 2012, 07:36:07 AM »
Very strange.

Maybe Tom has already coded in a diminishing return? Maybe frequency of investment diminishes returns?

Or maybe it's not about production, but about population? Are the cities where you invest at full population?

Has it suffered any anomalies in the past week that could cause the game to make erroneous predictions if those predictions were made on the previous week's info?

I've personally never made an investment with negative returns that I can remember.

Yes very interesting, in my experience cities generally provide positive returns as well. Other regions are a bit more varied but cities generally provide good returns.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #205: February 17, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »
I believe it is part of the system that constant investments don't pay off.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #206: February 17, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »
Very strange.

My investments are not THAT frequent. Not every week, but maybe every 2-4 weeks on BT.

Typically very little militia, full population, above-average tax rates.

I'm not in Fheuvenem to do another test, though, and I don't want to invest in Paisly with that 50% vacant estates and 25% wildlands... that would seem rather pointless, with that awful tax efficiency.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #207: February 17, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »
Very strange.

Or maybe...the estimate given when you make the investment isn't a perfect one, but rather a guesstimate based on current conditions and a basic knowledge of how production changes over time in some particular version of normal conditions.

There are many, many factors that could make the return estimate more or less than what you actually get back.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #208: February 17, 2012, 06:40:04 PM »
Or maybe...the estimate given when you make the investment isn't a perfect one, but rather a guesstimate based on current conditions and a basic knowledge of how production changes over time in some particular version of normal conditions.

There are many, many factors that could make the return estimate more or less than what you actually get back.

Very possible.

But the two people who have posted on here with detailed analysis of returns evinced very accurate estimations by the game. So maybe those were flukes, not a huge sample size, but I'm inclined to think the estimate can at least be trust to get the sign of the returns correct, if maybe not the exact amount.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #209: February 17, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »
But the two people who have posted on here with detailed analysis of returns evinced very accurate estimations by the game. So maybe those were flukes, not a huge sample size, but I'm inclined to think the estimate can at least be trust to get the sign of the returns correct, if maybe not the exact amount.

The estimate is very good if conditions in the region don't change much. Most people understand the warning it gives and invest in regions away from battles, etc. - i.e. in stable regions. Which means the estimate will be very near.