Author Topic: Aurvandil's War Machine  (Read 83316 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Aurvandil's War Machine
« Reply #180: February 13, 2012, 03:42:40 AM »
Precisely because Aurvandil was not a threat before they didn't seek help. After all, why dividing the spoils, or getting indebted over something you can do yourself? They were simply confident they could win all along, right until the Tower was breached.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #181: February 13, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
So, one week (and 6 pages) ago I started my investment experiment, costing my family 210 gold. The advisers had expected a 190 gold return. Here are the results:

Stats Prior to Investment:
Code: [Select]
Region Tax Report   (8 hours, 12 minutes ago)
message to the lord and knights of Nifelhold
The following taxes were collected in Nifelhold. The tax rate for this collection was 14 % and the lords share was 10 %.

Regional income and expenses
Peasants Taxes           246 gold
Taxes from Guildhouses   + 1 gold
Buildings Upkeep - 10 gold
Militia Payment          - 46 gold
Collectable Tax Gold   191 gold
Estate of Size Peasants Tax Collected Knight Share Lord Share
Walter         40 % 2520               76 gold      68 gold     8 gold
Rohk         36 % 2268               68 gold            68 gold
Wild Lands 24 % 1512               22 gold            22 gold
Region Totals              166 gold      68 gold    98 gold

Stats After Investment
Region Tax Report   (6 hours, 51 minutes ago)
message to the lord and knights of Nifelhold
The following taxes were collected in Nifelhold. The tax rate for this collection was 14 % and the lords share was 10 %.

Regional income and expenses
Peasants Taxes          458 gold
Taxes from Guildhouses + 5 gold
Buildings Upkeep - 10 gold
Militia Payment         - 45 gold
Collectable Tax Gold 408 gold

Estate of Size Peasants Tax Collected Knight Share Lord Share
Walter         40 %     2520      163 gold     146 gold    17 gold
Rohk         36 %     2268      146 gold     146 gold
Wild Lands 24 %     1512       48 gold        48 gold
Region Totals              357 gold     146 gold   211 gold

Results
Personal Income: +113 gold
Knight's Income: + 78 gold
Total Return:    +191 gold

Conclusion
1) Advisers do take into account your current tax rate when deciding the return on your family investment.
2) Family investments are not a lucrative use of family gold. I would likely be more efficient to ask my family for gold on a weekly basis and then bank it or place it in a guild. I effectively lost 20 gold through this transaction.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182: February 13, 2012, 02:33:43 PM »
It would have been a lot more profitable if it hadn't of been for your 24% wild land. Since wild lands only collect at half efficiency, that's effectively 12% of your regional income being wasted. The raw "collectible tax gold" shows that you should have done better than break even: 408 - 191 = 217. Take out the 5 gold difference from militia and guild taxes, and you have an effective return of 212 gold. Two more than your initial investment. The inefficiency of the Wild Lands is what turned your investment from a "break even" into a loss.

Investing does, however, make a profit for the character. It's gold that the character/realm did not have before, but now it does. Investing really is not a way to actually make a profit for your character or family. It's a way to funnel gold from one realm, through your family, to a different realm.

But this is really a topic for a different thread. It's mostly OT in this one.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #183: February 13, 2012, 02:55:29 PM »
I would likely be more efficient to ask my family for gold on a weekly basis and then bank it or place it in a guild.

Except that you've not been able to do this by asking for family gold repeatedly for years now, and even visiting your family to do this has been prevented by code that checks to see how often you're trying to do it (especially without putting any money back...).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #184: February 14, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »
It would have been a lot more profitable if it hadn't of been for your 24% wild land. Since wild lands only collect at half efficiency, that's effectively 12% of your regional income being wasted. The raw "collectible tax gold" shows that you should have done better than break even: 408 - 191 = 217. Take out the 5 gold difference from militia and guild taxes, and you have an effective return of 212 gold. Two more than your initial investment. The inefficiency of the Wild Lands is what turned your investment from a "break even" into a loss.

Investing does, however, make a profit for the character. It's gold that the character/realm did not have before, but now it does. Investing really is not a way to actually make a profit for your character or family. It's a way to funnel gold from one realm, through your family, to a different realm.

But this is really a topic for a different thread. It's mostly OT in this one.

Also doesn't account for shift from <100% production of food to 100% production of food.

That's a negligible value if you're at 98% production or something, but if you're coming from 90% or 85%, it can be significant.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #185: February 14, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »
You have now invested 700 gold in this region, boosting production by 53 % to 152 %. Your advisors hope for a return of ca. 840 gold, if everything works well.
Sounds pretty nice to me...
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #186: February 14, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »
You have now invested 700 gold in this region, boosting production by 53 % to 152 %. Your advisors hope for a return of ca. 840 gold, if everything works well.
Sounds pretty nice to me...

Yes, family investment is a great tool to boost the production of a depressed region. You can use it to bounce back after an episode of looting for example. However, if your production had been closer to 100% in the first place, you would not have gotten much more than a break-even.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #187: February 14, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
Yes, family investment is a great tool to boost the production of a depressed region. You can use it to bounce back after an episode of looting for example. However, if your production had been closer to 100% in the first place, you would not have gotten much more than a break-even.

Read it again, you can deduce that production was at 99%.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #188: February 14, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »
boosting production by 53 % to 152 %.

Sorry, I read from instead of by. My fault.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #189: February 14, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »

The more germaine difference is the size of the investment.

I bet that investment was in a city. City investments maybe have a different payoff level than others?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #190: February 14, 2012, 07:48:46 PM »
The investment was done in a Stronghold.  Nifelhold is the stronghold between Springdale and Nifelheim.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #191: February 14, 2012, 09:52:55 PM »
The investment was done in a Stronghold.  Nifelhold is the stronghold between Springdale and Nifelheim.

Darksun's 210 gold investment was in Nifelhold. JPierreD's 700 gold investment was somewhere else, probably a city.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #192: February 15, 2012, 12:49:32 AM »
Darksun's 210 gold investment was in Nifelhold. JPierreD's 700 gold investment was somewhere else, probably a city.

Giask, yes, a city.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #193: February 15, 2012, 05:26:05 AM »
Sasrhas, on FEI, has a 290 investment and ca. 360 return. I haven't looked into the actual return, but it highly depends on the tax rate. Mine being 23% I would think I gain gold rather those lose, then again I haven't taken the time to truly figure out the numbers.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #194: February 15, 2012, 06:59:46 AM »
Sasrhas, on FEI, has a 290 investment and ca. 360 return. I haven't looked into the actual return, but it highly depends on the tax rate. Mine being 23% I would think I gain gold rather those lose, then again I haven't taken the time to truly figure out the numbers.

Again, a positive return in a city.

I just invested in Chesney:
You have now invested 370 gold in this region, boosting production by 69 % to 169 %. Your advisors hope for a return of ca. 420 gold, if everything works well.

Positive returns in a city.

Looks pretty consistent to me. Investments yield positive returns in cities; might not elsewhere.