Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Elections, rulership, and dukeship

Started by Chenier, May 27, 2012, 09:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chenier

Say a duke wants to get elected ruler, how does that work in the new system? Can he still be ruler/duke?

If he gets elected as ruler, he loses his region. But dukes can't be dukes without being lords.. Will he lose his dukeship, either due to the election or due to not being a lord anymore? If so, can he still become duke again? If he wins the elections for the region, but isn't the duke, will be be auto-kicked out because a ruler can't be a lord without being the duke as well? In most systems, a ruler can't make himself a lord. Can he make himself a duke?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foundation

Quote from: Chénier on May 27, 2012, 09:39:15 PM
Say a duke wants to get elected ruler, how does that work in the new system? Can he still be ruler/duke?

If he gets elected as ruler, he loses his region. But dukes can't be dukes without being lords.. Will he lose his dukeship, either due to the election or due to not being a lord anymore? If so, can he still become duke again? If he wins the elections for the region, but isn't the duke, will be be auto-kicked out because a ruler can't be a lord without being the duke as well? In most systems, a ruler can't make himself a lord. Can he make himself a duke?

Yes.

Dukes can be dukes without being lords, but if they were already a lord/duke, when they're elected they will not lose anything.

Rulers can give themselves dukeless duchies or create a new one.  They cannot win/hold a lordship if they are not a duke.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Dante Silverfire

Quote from: Foundation on May 27, 2012, 10:06:29 PM
Yes.

Dukes can be dukes without being lords, but if they were already a lord/duke, when they're elected they will not lose anything.

Rulers can give themselves dukeless duchies or create a new one.  They cannot win/hold a lordship if they are not a duke.

So this is true even now for Republics and Democracies? In the past that was different, so I just want to make sure I am understanding this 100% correct before I take in-game action otherwise.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

Quote from: Chénier on May 27, 2012, 09:39:15 PM

Yes. Ruler and duke are directly adjacent in the hierarchy.

If he gets elected as ruler, he loses his region.

If he's a Lord and Duke, he won't. If he's just a Lord, he will.

But dukes can't be dukes without being lords.

False. To create a duchy, you need to elevate the Lord of a region to be a Duke as well. However, after that point, the Duke does not have to be a Lord.

Will he lose his dukeship, either due to the election or due to not being a lord anymore? If so, can he still become duke again? If he wins the elections for the region, but isn't the duke, will be be auto-kicked out because a ruler can't be a lord without being the duke as well?

I think he won't be able to run for Lordship if he is Ruler but not Duke. If he can, that's a bug we need to fix.

The rest of this relies on the invalid assumption that becoming Ruler when you are a Duke will lose you the Dukeship.

In most systems, a ruler can't make himself a lord. Can he make himself a duke?

I believe so. The new Duchies use almost exclusively brand-new code that makes no reference to government style.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan