Author Topic: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)  (Read 282566 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Southern War of Nobility (Civil war in Madina)
« Reply #825: November 22, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
You do? You make it sound like you'd rather eat your own arm.

The markets aren't very generous lately...

But in all seriousness, we bought thousands of bushels from them last season, our warehouses overflowed. More than we ever bought from Aurvandil, as far as I know.

And we had been importing from them since a very long time, since long before the duke of Madina decided to centralize all their food and grab all the profits for redistributing the food from regions my caravans used to buy directly off of at a lower price.

Trading with Aurvandil is a relatively recent thing, as they had food issues at the start. We have traded with Madina since a very long time, but they were always the highest sellers, which used to be less of a big deal in the days where I would import hundreds of bushels at 20 gold per 100 from Caerwyn.

Madina and D'Hara always have some difficulties communicating which causes some frustrations now and then, but overall we're doing continued trading with Madina as well. And some D'Harans do support Madina more then Aurvandil.

No realm in the 'moot is strongly in favor of one side over the other. They all have mixed feelings.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #826: November 22, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »
If Madina would change their constitution to require that all food in excess of what Madina requires, be offered to D'Hara at no more than 50 gold, then I would probably support them over Auvrandil.

Otherwise, Madinan dominance seems risky.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #827: November 22, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »
If Madina would change their constitution to require that all food in excess of what Madina requires, be offered to D'Hara at no more than 50 gold, then I would probably support them over Auvrandil.

Otherwise, Madinan dominance seems risky.

If it came to a bidding war, considering how bloated the Madinian lords' sense of self-entitlement is, I'm fairly convinced that Aurvandil would be willing to offer much better than what Madina ever would.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #828: November 22, 2011, 11:56:50 PM »
If it came to a bidding war, considering how bloated the Madinian lords' sense of self-entitlement is, I'm fairly convinced that Aurvandil would be willing to offer much better than what Madina ever would.

Until they decide to strike.... MWAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, you should be loving this war and hope it goes on forever. If one side or the other wins out, you'll have an awful lot of eggs in one basket as far as trading partners go. The victor would have serious leverage to either raise prices or simply cut off food exports and watch you starve if you displease them. At least, that is the impression you've given me. Maybe Aurvandil and Madina are less important as trading partners then I've been led to believe by reading this thread, but it sure sounds like you wouldn't be able to make do without their food.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #829: November 23, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
Until they decide to strike.... MWAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, you should be loving this war and hope it goes on forever. If one side or the other wins out, you'll have an awful lot of eggs in one basket as far as trading partners go. The victor would have serious leverage to either raise prices or simply cut off food exports and watch you starve if you displease them. At least, that is the impression you've given me. Maybe Aurvandil and Madina are less important as trading partners then I've been led to believe by reading this thread, but it sure sounds like you wouldn't be able to make do without their food.

The loss of Caerwyn really hurt D'Hara, as I'd say Caerwyn and Fissoa were our main two sources of food and they had cheap (Caerwyn) and respectable (Fissoa) prices. Caerwyn is gone, now, however, and Fissoa seems to have less for sell than it used to.

Madina sold a lot last season, but they otherwise were not a major source of food, we always bought as much as possible elsewhere first and then bought the little extra needed from them.

Really, I predict that Barca alone will probably be able to feed D'Hara. Now, with the new estates, they are growing much more rapidly. All D'Hara needs is to make sure that Barca grows fast enough, then it won't really matter what goes on down south.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #830: November 23, 2011, 09:43:08 PM »
No realm in the 'moot is strongly in favor of one side over the other. They all have mixed feelings.

Very passionately mixed feelings. We yell at each other all the time about obscure treaty points an nuances of neutrality, and make veiled accusations against each others' commitment to the Moot. Then we donate gold to each other and clear each others' monsters out. It's like a family.

Great minds think alike. Except you're wrong about how necessary they are. They are necessary only until new supplies are found. Those in Astroist realms may remember a certain dispute over the region of Demyansk. What does the region of Demyansk provide? Food. Lavendrow and Faithhill do too... but not as much. Students of the Moot's foreign affairs should also note the rapid expansion of Barca, and the growing rural population there.

All D'Hara has to do is secure food supplies until Barcan and Terran production is stabilized. At that point, the Moot should only need occasional exports, and, needing less food overall, should be able to find good prices.

Really, I predict that Barca alone will probably be able to feed D'Hara. Now, with the new estates, they are growing much more rapidly. All D'Hara needs is to make sure that Barca grows fast enough, then it won't really matter what goes on down south.

Ditto. Even once Twainville and Rettleville grow, they're small cities, and Barca has TONS of rurals and woodlands that should all be running food surpluses once productivity is up.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #831: November 23, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »
Ditto. Even once Twainville and Rettleville grow, they're small cities, and Barca has TONS of rurals and woodlands that should all be running food surpluses once productivity is up.

Barca is gonna bleed when the Zuma get world domination in their thick skulls
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #832: November 23, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »

It has been said several times by the devs that the Zuma aren't on the continent to work like invaders, chances of them suddenly deciding on World Domination is low. Of course it has been fairly easy to accidentally annoy them in the past.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #833: November 24, 2011, 01:02:56 AM »
What does the region of Demyansk provide? Food. Lavendrow and Faithhill do too... but not as much. Students of the Moot's foreign affairs should also note the rapid expansion of Barca, and the growing rural population there.

That region was actually my number 1 exporter of food at 20 gold per 100 bushels. I never even bothered to check who the lord was, but damn did I ever love him. :P

How do the Zuma work? They are daimon overlords watching over lower human tribes. Odds are, if they wanted world domination, they'd attempt similar vassalage. And we'd probably be the first to offer them freedom of passage along with a map to the daimon-hating Lurias.  8)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #834: November 24, 2011, 02:52:28 AM »
And we'd probably be the first to offer them freedom of passage along with a map to the daimon-hating Lurias.  8)

Nope.

Terran would beat you to it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #835: November 24, 2011, 02:55:10 AM »
Nope.

Terran would beat you to it.

"We", the moot. ;)

Of course, we've never actually discussed such things, but considering the blatant imperialism of every other power bloc on the continent, I think that's a path we would all quickly agree to take.

The world *really* should be nicer to the Zuma's neighbors.  8)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #836: November 24, 2011, 04:25:28 AM »
Of course, we've never actually discussed such things, but considering the blatant imperialism of every other power bloc on the continent, I think that's a path we would all quickly agree to take.

Huh? ???
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #837: November 24, 2011, 04:43:37 AM »
Huh? ???

Huh what? Don't try to deny it!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #838: November 24, 2011, 05:14:42 AM »
Huh what? Don't try to deny it!

Before or after Alanna? TMP has a hard case to make for fighting wars, since the damage to civilisation arising from the war would have to be outweighed by the damage to civilisation  from whatever short coming it is the "enemy" has. Thus any imperial plans would by necessity be peaceful, unless we all turn politician and spin everything to be a great crime against civilisation.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #839: November 24, 2011, 05:18:27 AM »
Before or after Alanna? TMP has a hard case to make for fighting wars, since the damage to civilisation arising from the war would have to be outweighed by the damage to civilisation  from whatever short coming it is the "enemy" has. Thus any imperial plans would by necessity be peaceful, unless we all turn politician and spin everything to be a great crime against civilisation.

Pfff. Damages from wars are relative, since they aren't permanent. Wouldn't be so hard to stuff down people's throat that it would be "better for civilization" on the long run. Plus that faith doesn't have everyone follow it either.

I'll believe it the day they come to D'Hara and Fissoa with a non-aggression pact proposal.