Author Topic: Feature Request: Voluntary Death Option  (Read 16511 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Voluntary Death Option
« Reply #30: March 05, 2013, 05:59:59 AM »
I agree. The Hero class gives mortality but it is too limited for my taste. I would like a timer on my character once XX years are reached, he dies. I want to be vulnerable to death by any wound that is or gets bad enough regardless of source. I want to have mortal characters of whatever class. This would be very awesome and the hero subclass just does not meet these requirements!

Eirikr

« Reply #31: March 05, 2013, 07:47:45 AM »
Old age, infiltrators, torture, and battles should all be potentially deadly.

To my knowledge, you cannot be wounded through torture. While it may be something to do down the road, I think the cases where you already get injured are a good starting point. That way, another check can be placed into the existing wound code.

I will say, however, that I feel like a Hero should always remain a Hero. It's not a profession, it's a lifestyle. They can still be martyrs; other deaths wouldn't likely be announced to the entire continent like a Hero. On top of that, not always is a death used as a rallying call.

Zakilevo

« Reply #32: March 05, 2013, 07:55:04 AM »
Maybe the 'torture' option should be divided as well for this.

1) Torture for information

2) Torture until death

Second one to kill characters with mortality option on ;)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 05, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »

2) Torture until death

With that second option, there should be a large chance to fail. Otherwise being imprisoned is a death sentence for mortal characters. I know I'd take a chance to kill anyone who wound up in my dungeon.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 05, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »
With that second option, there should be a large chance to fail. Otherwise being imprisoned is a death sentence for mortal characters. I know I'd take a chance to kill anyone who wound up in my dungeon.

I think this kind of 'behaviour' would cost to the Judge a lot of H/P! To torture and/or kill a nobleman in a dungeon would be something very serious... not everyday occurrence.

Eirikr

« Reply #35: March 05, 2013, 11:40:01 AM »

2) Torture until death

I think it's interesting for sure, but should be a second feature request if this passes at all.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: March 05, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »
As long as torture adds to age, it's effect on mortal characters would be felt as it pushes them to that magic death number more rapidly...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 05, 2013, 01:53:53 PM »
I would prefer that whether or not a character has mortality enabled is hidden from everyone else. I.e. you can't tell if someone has mortality enabled for their character. That way no one gets special treatment. If someone dies when the infil stabs them... well, that's the point of stabbing them, isn't it?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 05, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
I would like to see a Honor and Prestige bonus for selecting permanent mortality. Even with cautious play, a mortal character probably isn't going to get too high up there. Something like 7 Honor and 3 Prestige to help get them close to being able to take lord positions and courtier/trader class. Basically the equivalent of 1 good battle. There should be some kind of rewarding feature to entice people to try it.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 05, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »
No bonus for it. It's a completely OOC game mechanic. There should not be any IC bonuses for doing it.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: March 05, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »
No bonus for it. It's a completely OOC game mechanic. There should not be any IC bonuses for doing it.

I'm not sure how you see character death as OOC. I'm suggesting a nearly insignificant bump so a mortal character can experience a few classes and maybe even a nice position before ingloriously dying against a monster horde before seeing anything outside of vanilla knight.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 05, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »
I'm not sure how you see character death as OOC. I'm suggesting a nearly insignificant bump so a mortal character can experience a few classes and maybe even a nice position before ingloriously dying against a monster horde before seeing anything outside of vanilla knight.

That's why it is only voluntary. To experience that, you should not click the button too early. You should wait until your character is established and you are sure his death would have meaning, then you click the button.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #42: March 05, 2013, 08:59:34 PM »
If you want benefits, become a Hero.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: March 05, 2013, 09:02:19 PM »
If you want benefits, become a Hero.

Indeed, that class is designed that way.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 05, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
A character dying is, indeed, an IC event. However, the choice of being mortal or immortal is an OOC choice the player makes.

Also, I don't feel your reasoning provides any real justification for the bonus you're wanting. Get into two battles, and you'll almost certainly have enough honor and prestige to hold any office or government position. If you want to try different classes, then you'll have to survive long enough to earn them. No free passes.