Author Topic: Ease buying regions a little  (Read 18448 times)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Ease buying regions a little
« Topic Start: May 28, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »
Though I often send elaborates (too long maybe) that all should be based on cooperation and interaction, i would appeal for this "button-only" option for one single reason - to ease forming new realms.

if buying regions costs really lot of gold and considerable risk is involved, that chances should be somewhat better.

First thing that comes to my mind is buying rogue regions, especially on dwilight, that should enable new realms to be formed without comperehensive OOC preparations, which kills most of possible fun in advance.

realm will not be able to survive without enough players and cooperation anyhow, but allowing its forming to be somewhat simpler could create more in-game unpredictability. currently, when new realm is formed, most of roles are agreed in advance, on ooc basis, and while i don't say such practice should be persecuted, there should be at least some alternative. that could also make places like dwilight and current beluaterra more alive.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Ease buying regions a little
« Reply #1: May 28, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
Who would you pay in order to obtain control over a region without a government?  ::)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 28, 2011, 03:08:43 PM »
Bribe the local peasants/minor nobility/bandits to support/not attack you when you take control.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 28, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »
Who would you pay in order to obtain control over a region without a government?  ::)

Rogue regions have a government. It is just not pledged to a higher authority.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 28, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »

Aha. Well, that government doesn't seem to be doing a good job :P Or are there rogue regions with high production/morale? I never really payed attention to that...

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: May 29, 2011, 12:12:03 AM »
Buying rogue regions on Dwilight would most likely be a waste of gold. The reason is because for those realms that can reasonably defend against rogue forces, they can take the region militarily, which would be a much safer option. For those realms that can't, then they shouldn't even be thinking about expanding or colonizing. BM is still a strategy game, and in most, there's this rule against expanding without the strength to defend it.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #6: May 29, 2011, 01:15:06 AM »
Buying rogue regions on Dwilight would most likely be a waste of gold. The reason is because for those realms that can reasonably defend against rogue forces, they can take the region militarily, which would be a much safer option. For those realms that can't, then they shouldn't even be thinking about expanding or colonizing. BM is still a strategy game, and in most, there's this rule against expanding without the strength to defend it.

So? let people "waste" their gold if they want. There's no "rule" against it, and it might actually make some fun RP

This is a development thread, not a place to discuss people's personal philosophies on how to settle Dwilight. Stay on topic, please.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: May 29, 2011, 01:19:53 AM »
Though I often send elaborates (too long maybe) that all should be based on cooperation and interaction, i would appeal for this "button-only" option for one single reason - to ease forming new realms.

if buying regions costs really lot of gold and considerable risk is involved, that chances should be somewhat better.

First thing that comes to my mind is buying rogue regions, especially on dwilight, that should enable new realms to be formed without comperehensive OOC preparations, which kills most of possible fun in advance.

realm will not be able to survive without enough players and cooperation anyhow, but allowing its forming to be somewhat simpler could create more in-game unpredictability. currently, when new realm is formed, most of roles are agreed in advance, on ooc basis, and while i don't say such practice should be persecuted, there should be at least some alternative. that could also make places like dwilight and current beluaterra more alive.

Relevant part in bold.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:21:49 AM by Artemesia »

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 29, 2011, 02:21:29 AM »
While I can certainly sympathise with the DC's feeling about the fact that OOC cooperation is pretty much required to birth a new realm I don't really see this buying regions thing as a good solution.

Perhaps we could allow only small realms to buy regions? Like realms of less than two regions?
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 29, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »

I came across something else on the wiki, by accident:

"A region is the smallest division of land on any continent. The vast majority of regions are controlled by realms, but they may also be rogue; that is, under control of no realm and in a state of anarchy."
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Region

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 30, 2011, 12:09:34 AM »
i mostly thought of buying cities as an initial act of forming realms.

for realm to survive, much more is needed, of course, but if there would have been more chances for forming new realms, some more dynamics could be introduced.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 31, 2011, 03:59:22 PM »
While I can certainly sympathise with the DC's feeling about the fact that OOC cooperation is pretty much required to birth a new realm...

This is completely not true. Yes, it takes a large amount of resources. But no, it does not take OOC collusion to do so.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 31, 2011, 05:08:18 PM »
i mostly thought of buying cities as an initial act of forming realms.

for realm to survive, much more is needed, of course, but if there would have been more chances for forming new realms, some more dynamics could be introduced.

If they have the resources to start a realm without dying right off the bat, then they have the resources for a CTO. Let's be honest, a successful colony effort requires cooperation between a group of people that have significant resources. This applies whether you buy your capital or colonize it, because after you take it you still have to feed your city and defend it from monsters. Therefore, the proposed change does absolutely nothing to remedy the poster's complaint, which appears to be that colonizing requires a significant number of people cooperating to make it happen.

I have riffed on this subject before. I am dead against anything that is intended to make founding a successful realm on Dwilight easier (not that I believe this suggestion would actually accomplish that). It's supposed to be difficult. You know, untamed wilderness and all that. It is also not next to impossible, which some people like to claim. If you can't get together a group of people committed to a colony, with backing from an established realm to provide you with gold and food and possible military support until you're on your feet, you don't deserve to get your own realm for the trifling cost of a couple thousand gold from your family.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 31, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
While I can certainly sympathise with the DC's feeling about the fact that OOC cooperation is pretty much required to birth a new realm I don't really see this buying regions thing as a good solution.

You have experience with that?
Perhaps you never tried to actually play the game? instead of just influencing it with your OOC gang.

The whole point of this game is to persuade other characters in forming teams IN character and not out of character.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 31, 2011, 08:26:25 PM »
If they have the resources to start a realm without dying right off the bat, then they have the resources for a CTO. Let's be honest, a successful colony effort requires cooperation between a group of people that have significant resources. This applies whether you buy your capital or colonize it, because after you take it you still have to feed your city and defend it from monsters. Therefore, the proposed change does absolutely nothing to remedy the poster's complaint, which appears to be that colonizing requires a significant number of people cooperating to make it happen.

I have riffed on this subject before. I am dead against anything that is intended to make founding a successful realm on Dwilight easier (not that I believe this suggestion would actually accomplish that). It's supposed to be difficult. You know, untamed wilderness and all that. It is also not next to impossible, which some people like to claim. If you can't get together a group of people committed to a colony, with backing from an established realm to provide you with gold and food and possible military support until you're on your feet, you don't deserve to get your own realm for the trifling cost of a couple thousand gold from your family.

the mentioned idea should provide some alternative for colony takeover, while all other means to effectively establish and hold new realm would remain. that should enable more independence to the new realm than colony can provide, giving somewhat more dynamics to continental politics. colony takeover, if played ic, retains strong dependence with mother realm for long time, and cannot create such dynamics.