Author Topic: Dwilight Anthropology Project  (Read 41110 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Anthropology Project
« Reply #45: July 22, 2011, 07:35:29 AM »
Marromen - Like the Goths, divided in Visigoths and Ostrogoths? How about Wesimarromen and Austromarromen for less obvious reference? Wesigothi and Autrogothi are other forms to address those peoples.
Or... we could go for even less obvious references, and give them an earlier separation from the Goth tribes: Thervingi and Greuthungi. The first conveniently may mean "forest people", while the second may mean "steppe dwellers" or "people of the pebbly coasts", according to the Wikipedia. That would make the Woodsfolk the Marvingi or Therfolk (the first can be used by the colonizers and the second by themselves, like the Dwili/Gunthor). The Townsfolk would be Marthungi or Greutfolk.
Question: Ethnically, how would they look? Perhaps like the Riffian Berbers, who had a fair share of Vandal (East Germanic, as the Goths) mixing. This would suggest a migration from from the Mesoccidens, mixing with a previously Berber-like Maroccidens population.
What about Old Maroccidens and Candiels Peninsula, btw? A Berber-like ethnicity, though with much reduced population, would make sense in the previously given context.

Not really sure how I feel about a Germanic theme for Maroccidens. Doesn't seem to fit in at all. The weather, climate, and atmosphere have never screamed anything German themed.

Also, why a Berber-like ethnicity?

Pretty much, in my own mind at least (and that's just me, of course), most of Maroccidens has always taken a strong South American/Caribbean feel for me.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)