Author Topic: Dwilight Anthropology Project  (Read 41115 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Anthropology Project
« Reply #45: July 23, 2011, 01:27:38 AM »
JPierreD,

As I've said before, the common vision of most RP-active players in Terran (and I think Barca as well) for the natives is as, well, read this:
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Unti_Family/Lina/Explorer

The Zuma, properly speaking, paint their faces and sharpen their teeth. I presume they are somewhat darker skinned. Native peoples of the Marwood would presumably be similar. If the Zuma are the "high culture," or the Aztecs, the Mays, etc, the people of the Marwood are the small tribes of the Amazon basin. The people of the Townflat would be like the Mississipian culture maybe.

Those are the indigenous peoples, as we have RPed them. Originally distinct, now nearly extinct. They are increasingly pushed out of their native lands, westwards, and they join the Zuma, forming the Zuma Coalition.

The people who now inhabit Terran and most of Barca are different. Genetically, they are probably 50% "Pirate", 40% "Colonist", and 10% "Indigenous."

Pirate- I guess we can think Hispanic; tan skin– but that's up to Madinan players. I forget if they RP their people as more Caribbean or Mediterranean. WHichever they choose, it makes little difference to me.

Colonist- White, European. Ethnically very similar to whatever the primary demography of Pian en Luries and Morek is. I understand Pien en Luries and Morek are different, but hopefully some kind of common thread will be present, given they are both "colonial" realms, and it's been less than a generation since Dwilight was settled.

Indigenous- Certainly darker-skinned, central American or Caribbean. They have internal differences, but those differences are less significant as they are squashed together in increasingly smaller lands and forced to mingle to survive. And as their genes are diluted through the dominate Pirate and Colonist populations, they "show up" less. Some small communities of primarily indigenous people remain, especially in regions like Mistight, Thysan, Odona, Shoka, Rettlewood, Celtiberia– borderlands, but, for the most part, they are gone.

Does that help?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner