• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: WAR
« Reply #270: September 17, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »
Rumours spread and tales are sung about a huge battle in Fwuvoghor:
Enweil, Imperskoe Viys'ko iz Fheuv'na vs. Riombara
Estimated strengths: 1020 men vs. 780 men
The Army of Fengen (Enweil), sponsored by Igor zepplins, Duke of Fengen, were led into battle by Marshal Merkandur Castillo.
The Storm of the South (Riombara), sponsored by Mithridates Lorganson (Royal), were led into battle by Marshal Akrogath Apasurain.
The Iat'r Cossacks (Imperskoe Viys'ko iz Fheuv'na), sponsored by Guillaume Chénier, Hetman of Imperskoe Viys'ko iz Fheuv'na, Senator of Iato, Ambassador of Imperskoe Viys'ko iz Fheuv'na, were led into battle by Marshal Miroslav Chénier.
Igor zepplins, Duke of Fengen is spotted wearing the Black Jacket of Blood.
The hero Letholdus Immortals (Knight of Fengen, Enweil) was killed by a militia unit of Riombara.

All Enweil's fault there too, right?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #271: September 17, 2011, 08:00:49 AM »

To be honest there's some justice to what Chenier is saying. There's at least another 3.5k CS of Enweil troops in the form of eight units between Ulallo and Villriil. That could have made a significant difference.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #272: September 17, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »
Why thank you. I think Tan_Serrai and I can both take some credit for the last war. This one's all Tan_Serrai. I was a Marshal for a little while when it started, but was not very good as these things go. I find it very difficult to be a Marshal or General these days. Not enough time, and not at the right times either. Being up at the sunrise turn change is pretty hard on me given my work schedule.

I am impressed that we can field 11kCS with only one of our armies, but then again I think our CS numbers get inflated by our large quantity of special forces units.

In the previous war Ercole was a long time marshal of first the main army and then the celeres, the 100% moving army. He is dead now though. So gimmi credit! :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #273: September 17, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »

Uhm, yea? They brought half of the troops they said they could field, and not all of them made it on time. They delayed us for at least 2 days longer than desired, and they couldn't trust their nobles enough to follow ordered formations so had to use a less-than-optimal marshal formation. Despite all of this, all of the defending infantry was wiped out. It wouldn't have required much more to overcome the defenders.

We knew we were marching to defeat, though, but heck, got rid of TMP...

God bless TMP?

In the previous war Ercole was a long time marshal of first the main army and then the celeres, the 100% moving army. He is dead now though. So gimmi credit! :P

Hehe, back then, god was I glad to have a vastly superior economy to compensate for much lower activity levels. And to have Fwuvoghor so to hold that choke point as well, because without it geography vastly advantages Riombara over Enweil. It's rather astounding that the islands are self-sufficient when it comes to food, really, and that all of your entry points have walls.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #274: September 18, 2011, 12:35:58 PM »
If there would have been a danger of Enweil and Feuv combining into 18k CS I would have attacked Enweil in Gorin earlier - before Feuv was concentrated in Ulallo. Why do you think we withdrew from Yncaalo to Lopa when we could have attacked the then still isolated Enweilians in Gorin? I /wanted/ you to combine forces, to march against Fwuvoghor and withdrew to allow this. We knew your forces, we knew your army composition and judged that we could hold Fwuvoghors walls - barely, but still. In fact I got in a row with the duke of Fwuvoghor because I wanted part of the mobile units to leave Fwuvoghor temporarily to entice you to attack and he did not want to allow this. Once you were moving towards Fwuvoghor we closed the trap behind your forces with a force smaller than the one we were trapping.... Your attack did happen at the exact time I did predict it.

Your mobile army of 18000 initially stood against our mobile army of 11000...we killed around 4500 in Lopa and near Enweils capital, then did follow with 9k against your 13500 and managed to kill near all of yours at the cost of 1000 mobile and 2500 militia. And since you can't retreat homewards because we block you in Vilriil you are now forced to withdraw your remnants /through/ Riombara. It is now likely that practically none of your initial army of 18000 total will reach home. It is too early to be sure but I think we are looking at losses of 16000 against 4000. It does not get a lot better than that considering that  we were outnumbered 1:1,5. Personally I do find that quite impressive. Note that I am also impressed by Feuv' discipline and marching order - I want my char to express my compliments to your warriors once game mechanics allow that possibility.

You are welcome to put that down to 'a few enweilian units not moving' and to be 'not too impressed by Riombaras performance. I'd be content if we would be able to continue to be half as competent as during the past 10 days  ;)  I /really/ like the performance of our nobles...it took time to have them change from carefree peace footing to a dedicated force but by now they certainly are.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #275: September 18, 2011, 05:22:58 PM »
If there would have been a danger of Enweil and Feuv combining into 18k CS I would have attacked Enweil in Gorin earlier - before Feuv was concentrated in Ulallo. Why do you think we withdrew from Yncaalo to Lopa when we could have attacked the then still isolated Enweilians in Gorin? I /wanted/ you to combine forces, to march against Fwuvoghor and withdrew to allow this. We knew your forces, we knew your army composition and judged that we could hold Fwuvoghors walls - barely, but still. In fact I got in a row with the duke of Fwuvoghor because I wanted part of the mobile units to leave Fwuvoghor temporarily to entice you to attack and he did not want to allow this. Once you were moving towards Fwuvoghor we closed the trap behind your forces with a force smaller than the one we were trapping.... Your attack did happen at the exact time I did predict it.

Your mobile army of 18000 initially stood against our mobile army of 11000...we killed around 4500 in Lopa and near Enweils capital, then did follow with 9k against your 13500 and managed to kill near all of yours at the cost of 1000 mobile and 2500 militia. And since you can't retreat homewards because we block you in Vilriil you are now forced to withdraw your remnants /through/ Riombara. It is now likely that practically none of your initial army of 18000 total will reach home. It is too early to be sure but I think we are looking at losses of 16000 against 4000. It does not get a lot better than that considering that  we were outnumbered 1:1,5. Personally I do find that quite impressive. Note that I am also impressed by Feuv' discipline and marching order - I want my char to express my compliments to your warriors once game mechanics allow that possibility.

You are welcome to put that down to 'a few enweilian units not moving' and to be 'not too impressed by Riombaras performance. I'd be content if we would be able to continue to be half as competent as during the past 10 days  ;)  I /really/ like the performance of our nobles...it took time to have them change from carefree peace footing to a dedicated force but by now they certainly are.

We fully knew you were going to cut off the retreat.

And I don't know what you are saying about killing a 18000 cs force. This is the first time Rio and Fheuv'n fight.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #276: September 18, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »
It's rather astounding that the islands are self-sufficient when it comes to food, really, and that all of your entry points have walls.

but they aren't self-sufficient. XD
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #277: September 18, 2011, 06:10:15 PM »
but they aren't self-sufficient. XD

According to my calculations, they ought to be.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #278: September 18, 2011, 07:35:48 PM »

Eh? How do you figure? They might be right now, but only because we keep the population in Rines down to a manageable level... If we let that city grow, we don't have a chance in heck of feeding everything. The drought we had a few weeks ago resulted in some pretty bad starvation. All told our four cities have a maximum population of 164,000 peasants. That's 328 bushels a day to keep them fed, or 2,296 bushels per week, which is considerably more than we actually produce at the moment. Also, that doesn't take into account feeding anything BUT the cities...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #279: September 18, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
Eh? How do you figure? They might be right now, but only because we keep the population in Rines down to a manageable level... If we let that city grow, we don't have a chance in heck of feeding everything. The drought we had a few weeks ago resulted in some pretty bad starvation. All told our four cities have a maximum population of 164,000 peasants. That's 328 bushels a day to keep them fed, or 2,296 bushels per week, which is considerably more than we actually produce at the moment. Also, that doesn't take into account feeding anything BUT the cities...

I'm not calculating on max possible population, but on current population.

Which even if far off from max population, is considerable by itself.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #280: September 18, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
And I don't know what you are saying about killing a 18000 cs force. This is the first time Rio and Fheuv'n fight.

You separate Fheuv'n and Enweil in your numbers? We don't. It's all the same.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #281: September 18, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
You separate Fheuv'n and Enweil in your numbers? We don't. It's all the same.

What don't you get about the fact that this was the first time IVF fought Riombara?
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #282: September 18, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »

brutal food cycle of avengmil and rines.

rines run out of food, people die. rines get food and starts draining avengmil of pop (which in turn drains someone else)... then rines goes hungry again.

all a bit stupid really.
firefox

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #283: September 18, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »
all a bit stupid really.

Peasants are very stupid, that's why they require educated nobles like ourselves to protect them and take their gold in compensation  ;D
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #284: September 19, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »
1 interesting thing about 5 ranged sf.

it can move and shoot in the same round, so you sort of don't lost a whole round if target is out of range.

that said... why did i shoot at something 6 range?! order of text is 7 apart,... i move, i shoot, he moves

(battle report in bug tracker.. for those who want to look at numbers... but basically 250 extra dmg in the 2 rounds)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:58:30 PM by fodder »
firefox