Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 555241 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: The Current War
« Reply #480: October 24, 2011, 09:13:35 PM »
I think the assumption that the Cagilan Empire would wish to destroy realms, just because they are fighting against them, is false. It would be more about the conduct during the war, the relations before the war, and the manner in which the war was declared.

It isn't so much destroying other realms that is the goal, of course, but of establishing colonies to become their puppet allies and buffer states.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #481: October 25, 2011, 04:11:51 AM »
It isn't so much destroying other realms that is the goal, of course, but of establishing colonies to become their puppet allies and buffer states.

I wonder if CE & allies will be able to plant successful colonies at this point. One new colony would probably be the most they could manage and the south would be an easier place to found it than the north. Talerium has 21 nobles to manage 15 regions (1.4 ratio). Coria will be stretched thin if it is able to reclaim all the rogue regions around it. CE and Tara are in better shape but it doesn't look like they would be able to contribute very many nobles to a colony either.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #482: October 25, 2011, 04:43:02 AM »
I wonder if CE & allies will be able to plant successful colonies at this point. One new colony would probably be the most they could manage and the south would be an easier place to found it than the north. Talerium has 21 nobles to manage 15 regions (1.4 ratio). Coria will be stretched thin if it is able to reclaim all the rogue regions around it. CE and Tara are in better shape but it doesn't look like they would be able to contribute very many nobles to a colony either.

This could change quite a bit if and when the new estate system moves to stable.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #483: October 25, 2011, 05:22:38 AM »
I can see this really ushering in  a "Roman Empire" type scenario, if they go that way.

Imagine trying to maintain a colony in Icegate with a small outpost of loyal nobles and hordes of angry vikings swarming down on them every time they turn their back.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #484: October 26, 2011, 08:07:02 AM »
This could change quite a bit if and when the new estate system moves to stable.

Yeah, it could change things quite a bit. Its going to hurt some realms though. Talerium and other realms near or below 2 nobles per region should see a decrease in income.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #485: October 26, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »
Yeah, it could change things quite a bit. Its going to hurt some realms though. Talerium and other realms near or below 2 nobles per region should see a decrease in income.

Maybe maybe not - depends on how they currently order their estates. If all those lords with no knights have their estates set to production then yes, they will see a *huge* drop in income. The biggest estate I have seen in any Testing region so far is 50%. You figure that that will probably be at something like 70% efficiency and then factor in that the other half of the land will be wild, and you get a 40% drop in total income from the region. Pretty much everyone will see a decline in income though - the new estate system guarantees that. The difference will be in degrees depending on how many knights a realm has available and how efficiently they structure their estates.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #486: October 26, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »
I just want to congratulate Severus Scarlett's player on nearly choking me to death earlier today with the following hilarity:

"somewhere between your letters and the Queen's was lain and incubated the Egg of Disaster, which hath now hatched into the Chicken of Regret."

egamma

« Reply #487: October 26, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »
50% was the max size for the townsland of Raviel.
               estate       efficiency peasants
Gornak   50 %   72 %   4171   
Baulden   50 %   73 %   4171

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #488: October 29, 2011, 06:11:24 AM »
And, I think, can be reached in Celtiberia.

CE has 73 nobles. Admittedly, 28 regions. But they haven't been afraid to take lands from Carelia for the entire war so they are presumably confident of securing as far as Strombran. And that's under the current estate system. If CE wanted to expand its authority on the continent - and lets face it, they do - then I can easily see how they'd be interested in more than one colony resulting from this war. If the estate system came in here on stable, I would believe that the current conflict won't end until they get three.

Maybe I'm overestimating them or their ambition, but the last time I was in CE, that definitely fits the mindset.

Finton.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #489: October 29, 2011, 07:21:52 AM »
And, I think, can be reached in Celtiberia.

CE has 73 nobles. Admittedly, 28 regions. But they haven't been afraid to take lands from Carelia for the entire war so they are presumably confident of securing as far as Strombran. And that's under the current estate system. If CE wanted to expand its authority on the continent - and lets face it, they do - then I can easily see how they'd be interested in more than one colony resulting from this war. If the estate system came in here on stable, I would believe that the current conflict won't end until they get three.

Maybe I'm overestimating them or their ambition, but the last time I was in CE, that definitely fits the mindset.

Finton.

By god let's just do it and get it over with. Make the whole damn island CE vassals, so that - hey - maybe they'll actually start fighting each other? I still hate Atamara.

Zakilevo

« Reply #490: October 29, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
Maybe we will see the first realm ever to unify a whole continent?

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #491: October 29, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »
Helmsdale shall not give in!  >:( 8)
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #492: October 29, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »
Of course not. CE isn't going to get too friendly with realms that wanted to burn Calis to the ground. That's what CTO's are for :)

We won't see a unified Atamara, thank God. CE doesn't want that. They want to be the big boys who people are very, very wary of irritating. They want their lands to be safe and they want to be able to go off and have a bit of fun fighting a war or two. Good for noble retention. So they'll purposefully sabotage themselves if they ever get even close to that level of success. Doesn't mean they'll ever give anyone a fair fight. Why the hell would they?

Finn  ;D

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #493: October 30, 2011, 02:27:02 AM »
Of course not. CE isn't going to get too friendly with realms that wanted to burn Calis to the ground. That's what CTO's are for :)

We won't see a unified Atamara, thank God. CE doesn't want that. They want to be the big boys who people are very, very wary of irritating. They want their lands to be safe and they want to be able to go off and have a bit of fun fighting a war or two. Good for noble retention. So they'll purposefully sabotage themselves if they ever get even close to that level of success. Doesn't mean they'll ever give anyone a fair fight. Why the hell would they?

Finn  ;D

Yeah, see that's lame. Lame, lame, lame lame, lame. Who the hell wants to play on an island where one realm basically dictates the outcome of every conflict? Sure, it might be fun for CE, and maybe even their hangers-on. For everyone else it just sucks the fun out of the game. Everything they do must play to CE. They are not free to pursue their own agendas naturally. Instead they can only succeed in their endeavors if CE either helps them of turns a blind eye. So basically, conflict-wise, the only way to ever get anything you want is to convince CE to join the war you want to fight on your side, at which time it becomes a horribly one-sided gang bang. That or convince them to not get involved, but since they're basically always looking for an excuse to fight someone just for entertainment, it's pretty much impossible to keep them out of a war unless they're involved in one of their own already.

This right here is pretty much everything I hate about Atamara. It's like an Old Boys Club. There's so much back-patting going on at the highest levels that all conflict on the island always feels contrived and inevitably changes nothing in the grand scheme of things. People complain about our retention problem? This kind of atmosphere I feel is partly to blame. The current war is the best thing to have happened to Atamara in a long time, but it's emblematic of everything that's wrong with Atamara that most of the island united against CE and it still doesn't look like we can beat them.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #494: October 30, 2011, 03:15:28 AM »
Who the hell wants to play on an island where one realm basically dictates the outcome of every conflict?

Tara, Talerium and Coria.

And now apparently Suville, Caergoth and their rouge Duke.

:P
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)